Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: The Clearances research

Default The Clearances research

Please is there anyone out there who can assist with finding out more about whether or not my ancestors were affected by The Clearances. Here is a brief outline
    My GGG grandfather Robert Mcleod b. 1776 Sutherland, seems to have gone to Ireland (possibly with one of the Fencible units) met and married Fanny Liddle (b. 1882, Londonderry, Ireland).
    First Child George Mcleod b. 1800 in Londonderry.
    They go back to Robert's Scotland and have more children, their last one being David Mcleod b. 1820 (my G G Grandfather).
    Apart from George being born in Ireland, all the other children were born or christened in Reay, Caithness; (second child William b. in 1803)
    and the last two in Farr.

This indicates that on their return from Scotland they lived in the Reay, and then the Farr areas.
    In the 1841 Census Robert and Fanny are in Farr.
    In the 1861 Census Fanny is Head with son David and wife Barbara, in Farr.
    David died in 1896.

I have information from nas.gov.uk that David is described as tenant until 1896-1897 (in a return of crofters by the Royal Commission Highlands and Islands of 1 January 1883 David is Tenant No. 3) and after David's death in 1896 the tenant is given as "heir of David Mcleod" until 1905-1907, i.e. "Hugh Mcleod" (David's son) who was tenant until 1927-1928 and after that it was David Munro (Hugh's cousin)

The croft is decribed on the valuation rolls as No. 79, but Hugh Mcleod also lived on plot 269, (land owned by W. E. Gilmour).

I have seen a photo on Google of the derelict croft at Strathy East.

Any help or information would be appreciated. Are there people who could research this more thoroughly on my behalf on a professional basis.
    I have been told that there may be more information on the Duke of Sutherland's Estate papers.
    Thank you
    Denise

Hi have you tried Timespan in Helmsdale? They have some of the Sutherland Estate papers and will do research on your behalf for a small fee. More information on their website: http://timespan.org.uk/trace-your-roots/. Good luck.

Hello Duncansby - you very kindly helped me previously with the death certificate of Jane Mcleod proving to me that her parents were Robert Mcleod and Fanny Little (Riddle|) (my GGG grandparents) for which I am truly grateful as I have been able to trace a living descendant of Jane's. , so many thanks. I wonder if you would be able to help again and find Janet Mcleod's brother's death for me (which hopefully would prove his parents as Robert Mcleod and Fanny Liddle (or Riddle or Little). He was born or baptised on 11.4.1808 at Reay, Caithness (or possible Croick/Creich) and perhaps from there I might be able to trace his marriage and children, if any? I have tried Scotlands People to no avail so far. Thank you also for the tip re the timespan site. Kind regards, Denise. If you wish you can email me at taylor_d33@sky.com (please note there is an underscore between taylor and d33).

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Taylor View Post
    Please is there anyone out there who can assist with finding out more about whether or not my ancestors were affected by The Clearances. Here is a brief outline
    My GGG grandfather Robert Mcleod b. 1776 Sutherland, seems to have gone to Ireland (possibly with one of the Fencible units) met and married Fanny Liddle (b. 1882, Londonderry, Ireland).
    First Child George Mcleod b. 1800 in Londonderry.
    May I suggest, just for the record here on "the org," that you correct the year of birth of Fanny Liddle?

All the best with your research.

My granny was a Caithness Macleod, and I have Macleods (from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia) in my Canadian family tree (by marriage), so I will be pleased to watch your progress.

John Gordon of Caen

Does anyone have this family -
    John Gordon perhaps abt 1774 – bef 1841 and Marion Mcleod abt 1774 -died1861 Helmsdale

http://timespan.org.uk/caen-summons-of-removing-1810/

Familyfinder dna matching links me to this line so I imagine it may be via John’s ancestors

Oooops ! Correction to the date of Fanny Liddle's birth should read 1782