Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Jane Mcleod married Hugh Mcleod her parents being Fanny Riddle and Robert Mcleod

Lightbulb Jane Mcleod married Hugh Mcleod her parents being Fanny Riddle and Robert Mcleod

It seems that a Jane Mcleod died 29 February 1892 at Strathy aged 83, Widow of Hugh Mcleod, Crofter. Her parents were Robert Mcleod and Fanny RIDDLE.
    (Mcleod marrying Mcleod) This seems to match a GGG Aunt of mine except her mother was Fanny Liddle, but Riddle could be a mis-spelling, and she could be my GGG Aunt. A member with the name Duncana advised me of this and I would very much like to know where I can access Jane's death certificate or if he/she or someone could kindly post a copy to me, and if there is a way of getting sight of Jane's birth or baptism certificate. Also did Jane and Hugh have children, if so their names etc. Thank you for any assistance.
    Last edited by Denise Taylor; 20-Jul-13 at 13:06.

Denise,

You can access birth/death/marriage certificates, and OPR entries too at the Scotlands People website. The address is http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

There is a minimum payment of £7 for 30 credits, but if there is only one record you want to check it may not be worthwhile at that price. Then again, when I first started my genealogy research to get a certificate one had to pay for a printout rather than be able to view it online.

Anyway, I have done a search for Jane McLeod in 1892 Deaths and there is one record returned for Strathy, Sutherland. I haven't viewed it though - the search is free. I would stress that Strathy (the town/village - whatever you call it) can be a funny beast - sometimes it came under the county of Caithness, and sometimes under the county of Sutherland. But the record may be the right one, and probably is considering the following - Doing the same search for Caithness there are five matches found - but none for Reay, Caithness (which is sometimes how Strathy appears in the records).

Hope this helps, and good luck with your research,
    Steven

Steven, Thank you very much for your interest and the information - I will have to pay Scotlands People it seems - I suppose we can't expect everything free

Denise,

I forgot to add the following...

I don't know if you are aware of the website that gives free access to census returns - not the census records themselves, but transcribed copies. The website can be found at http://www.freecen.org.uk

As you are trying to track the children of Jane and Hugh McLeod it may be worth doing a search for the couple on the above website. Given the age of Jane at the time she passed away, she would have been about 32 at the time of the 1841 census, and 42 in 1851.

The 1841 census can be helpful enough if you already have a picture of the family, but it doesn't give relationships of the household members to the head of the house - no mention of son, daughter, etc. But if any of their children were still living at home in 1851 then it would be much more helpful.

The death certificate of Jane McLeod may help at the beginning as it may be a son, daughter, or son/daughter-in-law that registered the death. It all helps toward the bigger picture.

Steven

There is still a Hugh Macleod living in Portskerra.He and his daughter Jane both workedwith the emergency services at Dounreay Nuclear Site.Probably in phone book. Hope this helps.