Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Tomato leaves

Default Tomato leaves

The leaves on my tomato plants are curling can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong! They are in greenhouse in gro bags and watering daily.
    Thanks

Any aphids?

Temperature fluctuations - maybe overfeeding

Quote Originally Posted by Scunner View Post
    Temperature fluctuations - maybe overfeeding

Temperature fluctuation could be a possibility, watering every second day and feeding once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Any aphids?
    No aphids that I have noticed, just leaves curling about 3/4 of plant length Top part OK

mine are doing the same but the fruits are setting and growing fine. In fact looks like it could be a bumper crop
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

I was told that as long as there are no pests that curled leaves are a sign of health on toms

I associate tomato leaf curl with something deficient in the method of watering, but am not beneficial about this.
    Robot Vacuum

Leaf curl from the bottom up especially with yellowing and dark spots and no pests is over watering iirc. t
    Top leaf curl is healthy and fine, again with no pests or disease. sproradic watering ie feast and famine with cause fruits to split.

I pretty much agree with little red one, and I don't know why I'm responding to a tomato question in December. Too little, too late. Leaf curl is nothing to worry about in itself. Dark spots are another issue. Tomatoes, being of the same family, are susceptible to potato blight. Dark blotches on the leaves are the first sign of this. There is nothing you can do. Rip the plant out before it spreads.

But if the leaves are healthy, and curling a bit, are there some bluish tinges on the margins? If so, they are cold. Simple as that, and not much you can do about it.

But often, curling leaves suggest whitefly, which is the bane of indoor tomatoes, whether in a polytunnel, greenhouse or conservatory.

Don't be put off and try again next year. Green tomato chutney, I am told, is quite nice. And aphids add protein, albeit in very small quantities.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.