Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Baikie Family of Caithness

Default Baikie Family of Caithness

Hello all,

I am interested in George Baikie and Rose Barbour – George (1852-1923) and Rose (c1859-1936). George traces back to two Great Grandparents John Nicolson and Elspet Gunn. It is from John and Elspet that I can also trace my line.

George and Rose had at least seven children – two sons died during World War 1: Sinclair John Colley Baikie (1883-1917), and Albert Baikie (c1896-1915).

George enlisted with the army and was married in Hythe, Kent, England in 1880, but he came back to Caithness via a circuitous route. The following article from the John O’Groat Journal (6 April 1923) gives more detail of his life....

QUARTERMASTER-SERGEANT
    GEORGE BAIKIE, WICK.

Our obituary notices last week contained intimation of the death at East Banks, Wick, of Quartermaster-Sergeant George Baikie, who passed away on Thursday after reaching “the allotted span”.

Quartermaster-Sergt. Baikie was born at Hill of Barrock, Dunnet, in 1852. Curiously enough his first inclinations were towards a sailor’s life, and after leaving school he served before the mast on several ships. In August, 1870, he was on board a vessel which went with a cargo of herrings to Stettin. This was the time of the Franco-Prussian war, and owing to the blockade set up by the French they had to remain at Stettin till September.

The military spirit of course ran exceedingly high, and young Baikie was greatly impressed with the martial enthusiasm of the Germans, so much so that a few weeks after the vessel reached Scotland again -which it did on Christmas Day, 1870 -he enlisted in the 93rd Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders about a fortnight later. After attaining the rank of sergeant, Baikie was in 1876 transferred to the School of Musketry, Hythe, where many distinguished soldiers, notably Viscount French of Ypres, passed through his hands.

Sergt. Baikie remained at Hythe till transferred to the Volunteer staff. He was first posted to the Bonar-Bridge Company, but in 1884 he was transferred to Wick in the capacity of Sergeant-Instructor to the Volunteer Companies. So well did he suit his work, that before his retirement many years later he had the two companies at a pitch of excellence never before equalled in the annals of the old 1st S.H.R.V.

When the Great War broke out Sergt. Baikie -who was then compulsory officer under the old Landward School Board -offered his services, which were readily accepted by the War Office. He was appointed to the 10th Seaforths in October, 1914, and drilled recruits at Cromarty, Dunfermline, Cromer, and Richmond. He continued this work for four years, when he was discharged as being no longer physically fit for war service. The gallant soldier’s age was against him, and while living under canvas at Cromarty, he contracted bronchitis, a trouble which lingered with him to the end.

Sergt. Baikie was complimented by the King on having four sons on service, two of whom -as well as himself -had attained to the warrant officer rank of Sergt.-Majors. Two of his sons did not return from the conflict -R.S.M. Sinclair Baikie, 2nd Shropshire L.I., being lost while returning on furlough from Salonica, and Lance-Corpl. Albert, 7th Seaforths, falling at Loos in September, 1915. Sergt. Baikie is survived by a widow, three sons, and four daughters, to whom sympathy is extended by a community throughout which he was well and favourably known.

Sergt. Baikie was laid to rest in Wick Cemetery on Monday, with full masonic and military honours. The funeral was one of the largest and most impressive which has been seen in town for some years.

If anyone is also researching this family I would like to hear from them.

Regards,
    Steven

George and Rose Baikie are my great grandparents. My grandfather was Gordon Baikie, their 3rd son. He was born in Wick in 1885 & died in Glasgow in 1952. I have also been looking into the Baikies!

Quote Originally Posted by hmb View Post
    George and Rose Baikie are my great grandparents. My grandfather was Gordon Baikie, their 3rd son. He was born in Wick in 1885 & died in Glasgow in 1952. I have also been looking into the Baikies!
    Hello HMB,

Thanks for the reply.

My interest in this family comes through the following link - George Baikie, married to Rose Barbour, was the grandson of George Baikie and Janet Nicolson (c1789-1863). Janet Nicolson was the sister of my direct ancestor Donald Nicolson (c1794-1878) and his wife Christian Calder (c1798-1874). I have been attempting to trace all of Donald's siblings to build up a more complete picture of the family.

I will send you a private message with my email address as I have a photograph of your great grandfather George Baikie (1852-1923) which you may be interested in - unless of course you already have one! The photograph of which I write was printed along with the obituary which I posted. I have looked through the Johnston collection of photographs held by the Wick Society (http://www.johnstoncollection.net) and there don't appear to be any listed for George Baikie or Rose Barbour. However, having said that, there is one of interest which was found on the Johnston website which refers to Baikie at East Banks - the home of the couple. I also have a photograph of Francis Baikie, a brother of your great grandfather. Francis was a blacksmith by trade and there are a couple of photos held by the Wick Society for him.

The children of George Baikie and Rose Barbour that I have managed to find so far are as follows (although I now realise that they had nine in total - I should have paid closer attention to the newspaper article!):-

William Baikie, born circa 1881, married Gladys Waumsley 11 March 1918 in Wick (unsure of the surname - yet to get the marriage record);
    Sinclair John Colley Baikie, born 1883, married (I believe), died 21 Feb 1917 aboard the SS Princess Alberta;
    Gordon Baikie (your grandfather);
    Rose Baikie, born circa 1889;
    Margaret Baikie, born circa 1891;
    Albert Baikie, born circa 1896, died 28 Sep 1915 at Loos;
    Jessie Baikie, born circa 1900;
    Mary Alma Baikie, married John Porter 6 April 1927 in Glasgow

Should you wish to exchange any information, I would welcome a reply to my private message.

Kind Regards,
    Steven (Thurso, Caithness)
    Last edited by sgmcgregor; 19-Jul-13 at 21:05. Reason: added website for Johnston Collection