Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Peculiar behaviour (or maybe not)

Default Peculiar behaviour (or maybe not)

Watching birds on the feeder today. Saw a sparrow feeding on the fat balls and passing morsels to another who was sitting nearby as if waiting to be fed. The second was noticeably chubbier than the first. What's the crack - is this a (skinny) parent feeding a (fat) chick? Thought they only did this in the nest?

Our sparrows do the same - the chicks do look fatter but I think it is because they have their baby feathers fluffed up to keep warm.

Most if not all birds will continue to feed offspring for some time after fledging,Its their way of teaching the young where to find food and how to go about getting it for themselves,We have been watching some young Rooks out in the field calling for feed and flapping their wings to attract attention,really can be quite comical.

Yup, our garden is full of begging babies. It makes me laugh when the parent ignores them – you can almost see the baby shrug then it will start to feed itself.
    If you are ever bored and near the sea, watch the way the young seagulls try to get the adults to feed them- it is hysterical as they make this pathetic “pewing” noise and sidle up to any adult whilst looking hopeful.
    I am the Real Ducati!