Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Royal Mail

Default Royal Mail

Just received this and am hoping that many of you who may be affected if Royal Mail does get sold off to please add your signature to this petition which is below http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...share_petition
    Please sign the petition and help Save Our Royal Mail.

Thank you - having trouble spacing in posts on the org but please take the time to read and sign if we wish to attempt to try to save our Royal Mail service and decent deliveries.
    Last edited by pat; 04-Jul-13 at 07:32. Reason: wrong connection!

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    Just received this and am hoping that many of you who may be affected if Royal Mail does get sold off to please add your signature to this petition which is below http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...share_petition
    Please sign the petition and help Save Our Royal Mail.

Thank you - having trouble spacing in posts on the org but please take the time to read and sign if we wish to attempt to try to save our Royal Mail service and decent deliveries.
    Well it looks like if we get Independence, we will lose the Royal Mail anyway

Well- It might turn out a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdo View Post
    Well- It might turn out a whole lot better.

I doubt that very much indeed. Look at your mail and see how many letters have TNT, UKMail, DHL, etc etc on the envelope. Then who does deliver it. Royal Mail does.

None of the so called private postal services deliver letters up here in Caithness. They are all passed on to Royal Mail to deliver and Royal Mail are forced to deliver them. Not only that but they have to deliver them at a Loss. Every letter that Royal Mail delivers for another company Royal Mail loses money and after a while this adds up to quite a sum.

If Royal Mail is sold off then what will happen to our mail delivery service as all the other postal services say it is too expensive to deliver letters to Caithness and most of Scotland North of Inverness.

The only reason that the Government want to sell off Royal Mail is that if they can do this, then they will access to the Royal Mail Pension Fund which is rather large. So if you want to have your mail delivered on time and still 6 days a week then sign this petition for if you don't you could end up having one delivery a week. Or even worse, be forced to go and pick up your mail from a single collection point.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

A few weeks ago I ordered a cylinder head gasket which arrived next day by Royal Mail in good condition. Needed another so used the same company only this time they used Hermes courier service. Tracked parcel (?) to Dundee depot, where it appeared as delivered but has not been received or left anywhere round the doors. Thanks to Amazon a replacement is now on its way by 1st class RM, but why do they use courier companies for a wee thing which fits in a small jiffy bag.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    but why do they use courier companies for a wee thing which fits in a small jiffy bag.
    Simply because the seller was trying to scrimp a few pence more profit. I used MyHermes once, took a few days and all was well but the 2nd time i used them, they couldn't even be bothered to turn up to pick up the package and i had to revert back to Parcel Farce for the delivery. Big difference though as MH cost £5.60 for a 3 day service whereas PF cost me £12.92 for a 48hr express that took 6 days to complete. This was due to it being 15:30 on a friday afternoon when i posted the package and was told the it wouldnt be picked up from there until the following monday as PF dont pickup after 12 on a friday...what kind of service is that?

I'm all for supporting Royal Mail and hope they don't get sold but i think it is inevitable and that the deal has already been done with all the "streamlining" of their services at the moment. As for reduced services or a once a week delivery up here, i don't think it would be long for an enterprising company to set up a highlands postal service albeit not a cheap one. The towns wouldnt be an issue for deliveries but the outlying areas would suffer. As to how businesses would cope remains to be seen as i reckon couriers would probably ramp the prices up, knowing full well there is no alternative but to use them. There's plenty of arguments for and against selling RM off but i do hope the clown royale, mr cameron, wakes up and sees sense and puts a halt to this

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gaz View Post
    PF cost me £12.92 for a 48hr express that took 6 days to complete. This was due to it being 15:30 on a friday afternoon when i posted the package and was told the it wouldnt be picked up from there until the following monday as PF dont pickup after 12 on a friday...what kind of service is that?
    If you have a parcel to send on a Friday do not send via ParcelForce. The best way is to send parcels via Royal Mail, yes there is a difference and a big one. As I said, send by Royal Mail 1st Class and as long as you post it before 3pm it will be picked up that day and a very good chance it will be delivered the next day, Saturday, if not then Monday.

I always ask for any parcels that I send to go by Royal Mail and not ParcelForce. Royal Mail are usually cheaper and quicker especially if you send 1st Class, which is usually next day delivery.

The reason ParcelForce do not pick up after 12noon is because ParcelForce do not have a office in Caithness. They have to come all the way up from Inverness and that is why most of the Packets and Parcels sent to Caithness by ParcelForce are delivered by Royal Mail, as they are passed on to Royal Mail for delivery. They do this as Royal Mail have more delivery Offices and because of this Royal Mail are able to pick up Parcels later in the in the afternoon. Not only that, they also do a pick up of Parcels on Saturday where ParcelForce do not. Royal Mail can deliver Parcels that are passed on to them from ParcelForce but are not allowed to pick up Parcels from Post Offices being sent via ParcelForce.

Although ParcelForce are under the Umbrella of Royal Mail they are run as a separate Company who have their own Rules and Regulations and Pricing Structure.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

does all mail for other places in scotland all go to inverness first ??

eg Kirkwall ??

Sadly when the Royal Mail is privatised we might well say goodbye to doorstep deliveries. The day will come when we’ll all be given a Box Number and we’ll have to visit a Distribution Office in Wick or Thurso to collect our mail from our own locked pigeon hole. It already happens in many countries across the world.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou