Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Steam Train

Default Steam Train

Is there a steam train that runs on the wick thuso line?? If so how often and where could i find moe info.

Thanks

Sorry- if you've been seeing one, you're mad.

Why do people reply who dont have a clue about what you are asking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by willjean View Post
    I believe that sids did answer your question as there ain't no such Train, so if you have seen one then...........................!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

If i had seen it why would I be asking if one ran?

Think theres one comes to Thurso once or twice a year.

Default steam train

Occasionally a steam train does go up on the north line (very expensive). Cannot remember where I was looking at it but it was about £1000 for 3 or 4 days travelling on the steam train in Scotland, you did get around a fair bit of Scotland and food is included.

Yes, you are right Pat; I quite fancy the trip - if I win the lottery that is! The year 2011 I think....... http://www.youtube.com/embed/uz8Z4JG...l=0&autoplay=1 You also get to hear some birds, probably wondering what on earth is going on!
    Last edited by Torvaig; 25-Jun-13 at 23:23.

Think yer maybe looking fer this: http://www.railtourguide.com/uk-rail...l-voyager.html Doesn't look like the steam train is making it his way over though. http://www.railtourguide.com/uk-rail...-of-scots.html

Phil, Thanks for the links. The first one is NOT a steam train, just the normal train. Your second link is to the steam train but no mention of price - as Torvaig says - lottery win or similar springs to mind. Thanks for the link Torvaig - memories! Sorry cannot seem to get spaces as I want/need. Prices from £1025
    Last edited by pat; 26-Jun-13 at 07:25. Reason: add information

Thanks for all the info just wanted a day trip not a holiday. Will have to wait to see if i do win the lottery.
    Thanks again

That's a subject for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    Phil, Thanks for the links. The first one is NOT a steam train, just the normal train. Your second link is to the steam train but no mention of price - as Torvaig says - lottery win or similar springs to mind. Thanks for the link Torvaig - memories! Sorry cannot seem to get spaces as I want/need. Prices from £1025
    Yeah, there are a number of trips by different trains. The first link is the trip up the Far North line, the second is for the steam train which is doing the West coast, that is £1025. The price is on the site somewhere.
    The £1k does seem a bit steep but for 8 days including grub and beds it isn't too bad. And that is for the steam train, the others are cheaper.

Thanks for all the info just wanted a day trip not a holiday. Will have to wait to see if i do win the lottery.
    Thanks again
    I think theres one on Speyside . Seen it at Boat of Garten . Near Aviemore. im sure they do trips. . try googling it.??
    I was right , heres the link.
    http://youtu.be/RtYSWBoEGx4

price list.

Aviemore to Broomhill Return, Third Class
    Take a trip through the stunning Cairngorms National Park on board one of our special steam trains, departing from Aviemore. Travel through to Boat of Garten and on to Broomhill before returning to Aviemore.
    • Only Third Class tickets are available online. Please telephone 01479 810725 to check availability of 1st Class tickets.
    • Please call 01479 810725 if your party consists of more than 10 paying passengers to check eligibility for Group Discount
    Departing: Time:

Persons:
    Adult £13.00 each
    Senior £11.00 each
    Child (Children under 5 travel free) £6.50 each
    Family (Up to 2 adults and 3 children) £33.00 each
    Last edited by jacko; 26-Jun-13 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    Occasionally a steam train does go up on the north line (very expensive). Cannot remember where I was looking at it but it was about £1000 for 3 or 4 days travelling on the steam train in Scotland, you did get around a fair bit of Scotland and food is included.
    We were at the Dingwall Station Cafe stop on our "Where's the best tea and scone in Scotland?" tour last year and that train pulled in and sat for a while. Looked like a nifty trip.
    I really hate being bipolar. It's awesome!!!

Is there a steam train that runs on the wick thuso line?? If so how often and where could i find moe info.
    If only Chris de Burgh looked in here from time to time - He would have no end of inspiration for his lyrics....

Thanks again
    Staem train from Fort William to Malliag runs during the summer, a great day out. Only about 40 minutes in Mallaig but that is probably enough the steam train experience makes the day.

It's a great pity that there isn't a steam train running on the Wick to Thurso line. What a fantastic tourist attraction that would make, bringing visitors and new business and breathing new life (not to mention Smoke!) into Caithness. Needs a few people like Pete Waterman and quite a few £million to do it though!!