Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Beautiful Crane Fly

Default Beautiful Crane Fly

Hi All

Picture below of a very large Crane Fly caught a few days ago - species Pedicia rivosa. I do not know how common it is in Caithness but I see very few of them.

Pterodroma

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PEDICIA RIVOSA.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	19774

Please excuse my ignorance, but, to me, the totally uninitiated in the world of insects, it looks just like a "Daddy Long-legs" !!!
    I hope, that although you "caught" it . . . you also let it go ?

Thanks for sharing Pterodroma.
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

Hi Cherokee

Daddy Longlegs just another name for Crane Fly, but there are a number of different species, most not as spectacular as this one. It was released unharmed where it was caught, so no harm done to the insect beyond a little temporary inconvenience.

Pterodroma

Thank you for your reply Pterodroma ! I now have a wee bit more knowledge when seeing "Daddy Long-Legs", LOL !
    Much appreciated ! . (Glad to know also that it's flying free !)
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "