Hi All,

I'm a newbie looking for information on my ancestors & possible descendants who can shed a bit more light on the Sutherland family who resided at Dalemore & Leavad in the mid 1800's.

The head was Robert Sutherland born 1816 in Latheron. He married Jane MacKay (born 1819 Creich, Sutherland) in Halkirk & they resided at Dalemore near Halkirk. They had nine children - John (b.1838), Donaldina (b.1840), James (b.1841), Alexander (b.1847), Christina (b.1849), Robert (b.1852), David (b.1854), Catherine (b.1859) & William (b.1861).

The family later moved to Leavad & both Robert & Jane were listed as living at the Forse estate in the 1871 census.

Both James & Alexander emmigrated to New Zealand, James passing in Fairfax, Southland in 1906 & Alexander was killed by a fall of earth at Tinkers gold mine in central Otago in 1886. He was my 2nd great grandfather.

Any information, anecdotes or images of the family that anyone could supply would be greatly appreciated. I would also be interested in finding out about the ancestors of Robert & Jane & their connection to Sutherland of Forse or Berriedale (Langwell).

Cheers,

David.