Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work promotion

Default Work promotion

It's finally happened, after 4 years and several times missing out on a promotion at work, I've been offered a supervisory role. I arrived at work and was immediately called in to see the managers who were visiting the site today, we sat and had a chat, I told them my ideas of how the depot should run, problems that need attention now, not later, who needs their arse kicked etc., then talked money. Then I turned it down. We need a supervisor on site, and I'm not blowing my own trumpet, but I'm the best man for the job. When the previous supervisor quit all the other guys said they weren't interested and so they were happy for me to do the job, but management only offered it to me because they need a supervisor on site, I wasn't getting it on merit. The previous supervisor, with less experience than me, was appointed without the job being advertised internally, which is normal company procedure; had I been able to apply for it and lost out then fair enough, but to appoint someone without going through the normal channels really got my back up. It may come across as sour grapes but that isn't the case. I'm really not interested in promotion any more. I'm happy doing what I'm doing, I don't need or want the hassle involved and am happy with my decision, which surprised the other guys because they all expected me to take it. I'm quite happy with the colour of grass on this side. :-)

You have to do what is best for you. As long as you are happy with the decision ... then congratulations on that decision
    Everyone's a critic ...............

Interesting post Joxville....

I'm thinking about applying for a position which would put me in charge of the planned huge international expansion of one of our core activities. The job has a grand title, and there would most likely be a lot of international travel to far flung places - although no more money in the first instance! I could probably do the job ok, and I think I may be likely to get it, but I'm not the best person for it. A more junior colleague would be much better, but I don't think she'd be offered it for "political" reasons (which I won't go into here).

I don't think I'll apply - partly because I'd have to work closely with someone for whom I am rapidily developing zero respect!

Heck ...apply then decline ...and state why........might shake up the management a bit....or at least they will be willing to know why you wont take on a more managerial role than you have now without reasons..
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    Heck ...apply then decline ...and state why........might shake up the management a bit....or at least they will be willing to know why you wont take on a more managerial role than you have now without reasons..
    That's an interesting suggestion.

But I already have the ear of "he who sits in the big office with the antique desk", and I'm not sure I want to destabilise that relationship right now....

Well done Jox, you deserve it
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    It's finally happened, after 4 years and several times missing out on a promotion at work, I've been offered a supervisory role. I arrived at work and was immediately called in to see the managers who were visiting the site today, we sat and had a chat, I told them my ideas of how the depot should run, problems that need attention now, not later, who needs their arse kicked etc., then talked money. Then I turned it down. We need a supervisor on site, and I'm not blowing my own trumpet, but I'm the best man for the job. When the previous supervisor quit all the other guys said they weren't interested and so they were happy for me to do the job, but management only offered it to me because they need a supervisor on site, I wasn't getting it on merit. The previous supervisor, with less experience than me, was appointed without the job being advertised internally, which is normal company procedure; had I been able to apply for it and lost out then fair enough, but to appoint someone without going through the normal channels really got my back up. It may come across as sour grapes but that isn't the case. I'm really not interested in promotion any more. I'm happy doing what I'm doing, I don't need or want the hassle involved and am happy with my decision, which surprised the other guys because they all expected me to take it. I'm quite happy with the colour of grass on this side. :-)
    I like your style sir!

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    Interesting post Joxville....

I'm thinking about applying for a position which would put me in charge of the planned huge international expansion of one of our core activities. The job has a grand title, and there would most likely be a lot of international travel to far flung places - although no more money in the first instance! I could probably do the job ok, and I think I may be likely to get it, but I'm not the best person for it. A more junior colleague would be much better, but I don't think she'd be offered it for "political" reasons (which I won't go into here).

I don't think I'll apply - partly because I'd have to work closely with someone for whom I am rapidily developing zero respect!
    Good for you SIS, and for all the right reasons. If you do or don't apply, good luck!

I'm not a 'yes' man, never have been, I'm just me, I say what I think, even if it goes against company policy. I think that's why I've been passed over for promotion in the past. I won't blindly accept the latest missive, instead I'll question why we must do 'x'. There's a few within who have gone on to better things simply because they toed the company line, but I'm not selling myself out just to get on, plus the higher up you go, the greater the hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Well done Jox, you deserve it
    I've read it a couple of times. I think he has not been promoted. Anyone understand it better?

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    So easy to stand on the sidelines and critcise management and question policies, and then when offered the chance to do something about it you wimped out Jox.

Here's another angle: if your next supervisor makes your life misery, will you be glad you took this stance?

Remember the song:

The working class can kiss my ass,
    I've got the foreman's job at last!

Quote Originally Posted by neilsermk1 View Post
    So easy to stand on the sidelines and critcise management and question policies, and then when offered the chance to do something about it you wimped out Jox.
    I didn't wimp out. I could have taken the job but my input would have been diddly-squat. I'd have absolutely no influence on company procedures or policy. The only thing I'd have got is crap from above and crap from below, I really would not have benefitted in any way by taking the job. If I felt I could have made a difference then yes, I'd have accepted it, but all they want is a whipping boy. Oh, and the money was only going to be an extra £25 per week; for that, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Here's another angle: if your next supervisor makes your life misery, will you be glad you took this stance?Remember the song:The working class can kiss my ass,I've got the foreman's job at last!
    I pride myself on getting along with almost everyone I've ever worked with, even bosses who could be difficult, so I won't let him or her make my life a misery.

Quote Originally Posted by Torvaig View Post
    Good for you SIS, and for all the right reasons. If you do or don't apply, good luck!
    Thank you.

I haven't applied for the position. Like Joxville, I pride myself in getting along with most of the people I've worked with, but there are some people I have no wish to work with more closely. One (unfortunately) is a fellow northerner, the other is a jerk from the southern hemisphere.
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 01-Jun-13 at 21:42. Reason: opty

The latest twist in the saga is the bosses have asked my five colleagues if they are interested in the position, and they all refused. I was then phoned at home yesterday asking if I'd reconsider, and again I said that I didn't want the job. The boss rung off telling me he'd give me two weeks to consider! What don't they get? I don't need two weeks, two seconds is long enough.

I'm happy with the way things are for me at the moment. I work a three shift system which suits me and two colleagues. Shift 1 is 06.00-1500, shift 2 overlaps that 12.00-1900, shift 3 is 19.00-04.00. When we do the third shift we rarely work beyond 2am, but are still paid until 4am, so we still manage a decent sleep, maybe waken around 9 or 10am and have the day to ourselves. I don't want to give that up to work from 8am-5pm, with the added hassle and stress for an extra £25, minus tax and N.I. contributions. I really don't see any benefit in it at all, and neither do my colleagues.

However, there is talk that they could get rid of one of us and hire someone to cover whoever is made redundant, as well as do the supervisors job. I don't know if they can do it legally, but they have been known to get rid of people with a pay off, they feel it works out better and cheaper for them in the long term. In those cases, its been people further up the chain that have had out of court settlements, I know of 8 people it's happened to so there is nothing to stop them doing it to me or my colleagues.

Looking at it a certain way, you are being offered a step in the right direction, even if it's not your ideal job. You are practically refusing an instruction from your employer to take the job. Thus, you are marking yourself out as a recalcitrant.

Now, you are facing a realistic chance of redundancy and unemployment. Do yourself a favour rather than maintaining your working class credentials in the dole queue. Take the promotion.

You like the shop floor job you have now. That's fine, but it's going to change anyway. I liked ploughing and wrestling cattle, but the job doesn't exist any more, so I do something else that keeps the wolf from the door.

I liked shop floor level at Dounreay thirty years ago, in some ways, but the place changed, with privatisations and the people in my old job there are not treated very well now. I'm glad I "betrayed" my proletarian brothers and sisters and went white collar.

From here, it looks like taking your promotion offer is your better option.

Jox, if you think there's a chance they could make one of you redundant then take someone else on to fill a shift job and the supervisors job, I imagine they'd still have to work the shift patterns as they are now. So why not counter their offer & say you'll take on the job doing both roles so long as you can keep your existing shift patterns, and maybe for a bit more £ to make it worthwhile. It sounds like they're desperate to keep it in-house & have their beady eyes set on you, so it sounds like you have a bargaining chip in your favour.

It's difficult to convey on here how the management treat us, but one thing I can say for certain is, it's definitely not a step in the right direction, they really do just want a whipping boy. My work record shows I've never shied away from learning something new, I can do everyone elses job in the depot, and I've got certificates for so many courses I've done over the years I actually could paper a wall with them, so I could never be accused of being recalcitrant. Even if I were to take the job, its not going to lead to anything better. Over the last few years they have got rid of depot managers and have an area manager who will oversee maybe 5 or 6 depots, and the supervisor does what the manager used to do, though without the higher salary or car allowance. I've no interest in going further with the company anymore so if it means that one of us is made redundant, then so be it. I'm tired of their crap and would leave if I could find something of a similar wage, but will stay put for the moment. However, if I were the one to go, then yes, it would hurt my pocket, and I would then have to accept any job that came along, but they could be doing me a favour in the long term. I'll just wait and see what transpires tomorrow, one of the bosses said he might visit us.

I know it's not really any of my business, but wouldn't it be less dangerous to go out and look for a new job whilst you're still employed? It's usually easier to find a new job when you already have one - even if the latter is in a place run by people whose actions and attitudes you don't like. You did once say you enjoy your job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast