Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Thomas Plumb living with James and Jessie Noble, Thurso

Default Thomas Plumb living with James and Jessie Noble, Thurso

Hi there, my great uncle Thomas Samuel Plumb is on the 1911 census as living with James and Jessie Noble at 26 Sinclair Street, Thurso. He was a border. He was originally from the East end of London where his father was a docker. His mother died in 1901 and I am really keen to know how he came to be living so far from the place of his birth. There were also two other young borders living with James and Jessie at the time so I wonder if they took in orphaned or poor children. Its a long way from the East London docks to Thurso! Would be wonderful if anyone knows anything about the Nobles and how come they had these children living with them. I don't believe that we have any family connection to the Nobles. Thanks in anticipation!

Default James & Jessie NOBLE in Thurso 1911 census

Was your Thomas S Plumb b c 1894 father Isaac mother Hester (m 1893).
    did Thomas die in Broxburn, West Lothian, Scotland

Did you find his father in 1911? Had he remarried? Elizbeth

James Noble born Golspie?? Is this the one on the census 1911?
    What was his trade and who else was at house in Thurso - ages and where from.
    Maybe others will reckonise the family
    Was there any job given for Thomas.

Not my family but just happy to try to help.

hi there, thanks so much for the reply, yes this is right Thomas. His father did remarry and had at least one other child, Edith and yes, his second wife was Elizabeth. I dont know anymore about the Noble family than what was on the census, it just seemed odd to me that he ended up living there , such a long way from the east end of London ! There are a couple of other borders on the census at the same address. He was down as a scholar which at 17 was unusual I thought. I dont know if there was some sort of further education establishment or university campus in the town back then?