Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Woodpecker

Default Woodpecker

We've had a woodpecker in and out of the garden in the past week here at Achvarasdal. Never seen one in Caithness before. Is it unusual or have I just had my eyes shut for the past 30+ years ?
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

They have been seen in Achvarasdal woods for at least 2 years now, with youngsters being seen last year. Prior to that I had only ever seen them at Langwell, but it appears they are spreading. Nice garden bird.
    Away with the birds

2 years? They have been in Achvarasdal a lot longer than that at least 4 and from records I would say more years than that.

I said at least 2 years as I only know of confirmed breeding records for the last 2 years. Woodpeckers were being seen in lots of places over the last few years but will no be resident in those places.
    Away with the birds

Whatever thanks for the confirmation. My only previous sting was on the BBC birdwatch day....the cheeky begger went to steal the fatballs I have out for blue tits etc, so I really couldnt miss it. Then last weekend was the next time. Glad to know that they are getting established. I remember them fondly from my days in Oxford.
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

I've had two sightings of the greater spotted type in my garden this year, once it was on the feedtable. A very beautiful bird. Lets hope there will be more. If I see a green one then that will be me, I can die happy then.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Hi Kas
    Great Spotted Woodpeckers have bee in Achvarasdal for at least 8 years, possibly longer. We have breeding records for at least the last 5 years, there are 2 pairs there at the moment, last year there were 3.
    Here's a couple of photos taken in Achvarasdal.
    Great Spotted Woodpecker female.

Great Spotted Woodpecker female 2.

nirofo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I've had two sightings of the greater spotted type in my garden this year, once it was on the feedtable. A very beautiful bird. Lets hope there will be more. If I see a green one then that will be me, I can die happy then.
    Russ, that damned thing spends a lot of time over in my garden decimating the contents of the nut feeder! It LIKES nuts! it first appeared last year and I got the little bustard on film It was a bit shy back then but now it pecks away at the nuts oblivious! I must get the camera on it again this year, it's a lot less shy.

Mike (across the road)

Last edited by Tangerine-Dream; 28-Jul-13 at 21:31.

It was obviously "checking the joint out" last year.... you want to see it this year! It hangs upside down if the nuts are low and basically has to be shooed away from the nut feeder at times The smaller birds just don't get a chance when he's in residence, he can spend up to an HOUR pecking his way through the nuts! It's costing me a fortune in nuts and Caithness Livestock Breeders asked me if I'd like to open an account with them..... hehe

Or maybe it's a "she"? I don't know, I'm not that into birds (unless they don't have feathers, that's a different story).... can you tell from looking at it whether it's a male or a female or do you have to "catch it" and examine it's privates?

Not sure you'll see green woodpeckers up here but I can tell you they love digging up the lawn for chafer grubs beautiful bird to watch and a very distinctive call. I used to have woodpeckers in my garden down south they just love fat blocks with insects and its a pleasant way to spend a while watching the parents bring youngsters to feed.