Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Vista - suddenly not genuine

Default Vista - suddenly not genuine

I've recently cobbled together a machine using an old desktop case and a HDD from a laptop, running Vista.
    Much to my surprise the OS found the swap quite easy, I had to download a couple of drivers for various things and Windows rebooted several times finding the new bits and pieces.
    And even more to my surprise it ran rather spiffingly for a wee while.
    Too good to be true for MS!

Then the Windows Genuine Advantage kicked in an said the OS was no longer genuine and required activating, tried the original code but without success.
    I know this has something to do with swapping out the HDD but beyond that I'm clueless, and google hasn't been too friendly this time.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Default Linux Mint

Down load the free iso of linux mint Burn the image to a dvd
    it will boot off the cd and run your pc (without effecting the hard drive ) to try it. It will run slightly slower while using the dvd.
    If you like the operating system " linux mint" You can install it instead of windows or as a duel boot alongside windows.
    Once installed it should run faster then any windows . A little thought needed sometimes to configure it to your needs.

Ive been using Linux for many years and wouldnt dream of using Microsoft products again.

All software is open source (basically free) Virtually forget virus threats. No weird upgrades delays when you try to shut down your machine. no having to reboot when new softare installed.
    software downloaded from a free, safe and checked software repository.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

more info on the different linux versions http://distrowatch.com/
    Last edited by Wizzbang; 27-May-13 at 10:21.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.

Don't help him! He's trying to create a self aware AI to take over the world.

Looks like the desktop has not got SLIC 2.0 Bios which is needed for self activation,the laptop donor probably was SLIC 2.0 so activation was reversed.,laptop key would also not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzbang View Post
    Down load the free iso of linux mint.......
    Unfortunately this is to run a couple of MS based programs so an MS OS is, in theory, easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Don't help him! He's trying to create a self aware AI to take over the world.
    Trying! Created the AI and had the masterplan for world domination for months, just need Bill Gates to get his software sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff1 View Post
    Looks like the desktop has not got SLIC 2.0 Bios which is needed for self activation,the laptop donor probably was SLIC 2.0 so activation was reversed.,laptop key would also not work.
    The desktop is newer than the laptop HDD, not that it means much. How do I tell if it has SLIC at all, I can find details on checking between SLIC 2.0 & 2.1.
    And if this is missing, is there a work round?

There i an app in linux called WINE which when installed runs windows programs .
    Must admit some dont always work to well but the majority Iv tried have run flawlessly.
    What are the MS programs if I might ask? I could see if they run under the linux WINE

if not maybe you an get a
    coc from someone with a vista disk. and try to use that.... (Im sure Bill G wont mind). The last intallation disk I have is XP. You can have that if it helps.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.

IF slic is the problem, and it maybe not,their are many sites that may help,just google Bios Mods,many clever people may have a modded bios,but its risky.Does it reactivate when loaded back on laptop.Maybe you just need to load the latest bios to the desktop.have had this problem a few times and needed bios upgrade or modded bios.hope you get it sorted would be interested to know your conclusion.Cheers.

I'm afraid it's just that Windows doesn't like too many simultaneous hardware changes before it decides it's not gonna play any more - you can get away with changing one or two at a time, but your cobbled system must have been too much. You could try going through the telephone registration process to see if they'll register your copy with the new hardware setup, or you can backup any data, wipe & start the installation from scratch, which is what I usually recommend as you get a nice clean install then.

agreed.

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

Thanks all for your replies. It would seem that Windies disnea like hardware changes, anyway the machine seems to have fallen over completely now.
    Does anyone have an old desktop they no longer require, only requirements are a basic soundcard with a line in??

bring it round i'll sort it

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzbang View Post
    There i an app in linux called WINE which when installed runs windows programs .
    Must admit some dont always work to well but the majority Iv tried have run flawlessly.
    What are the MS programs if I might ask? I could see if they run under the linux WINE

if not maybe you an get a
    coc from someone with a vista disk. and try to use that.... (Im sure Bill G wont mind). The last intallation disk I have is XP. You can have that if it helps.
    Linux has many good features, but you would be bonkers to install it to run (most) MS programs lol!
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 08-Jun-13 at 21:11. Reason: didn't make sense lol