Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Unusal bird seen

Default Unusal bird seen

Twice now I have seen this lovely vivid yellow and black bird outside my house, it's larger than a robin, perhaps not quite so big as a blackbird. The yellow was very vivid, with a longish tail. I have never seen anything like it before. I've not a clue what it was other than very beautiful!

Yellowhammer? Wagtail?

Would love to see a photo so we can all have a best guess.

I cannot think of anything that size and yellow? Grey wagtail is very vivid yellow and long tail but no where as big as a robin, also very yellow and black is a siskin.
    Thanks
    Catherine

With help of the identifier I have narrowed it down to either a Yellow Wagtail or a Golden Oriole. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmcborgie View Post
    With help of the identifier I have narrowed it down to either a Yellow Wagtail or a Golden Oriole. Thanks
    Seriously, if you think this is a golden oriole then report it as thats rare sighting.

Hope you see it again so you can positively ID it
    Thanks
    Catherine

I hope you can ID it too, try leaving out some live bird food to coax it in if it's still in the area.
    I have a brilliant secret when it comes to bird watching. I go out early while it's still dark and sit down somewhere in the woods. When the day begins I scatter live bird food about me, and it attracts loads of them for me to take pictures of, it's brilliant.

I've been catching glimpses of some really yellow birds on the garden lately. I've been waiting to catch them on the feeders because they were amazingly yellow and figured I had some rare breed feeding here. Turns out they were Siskins but seeing as they've not been here feeding for 3 years I'm well chuffed that they've come back
    Hope you get your ID gmcborgie
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/