Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Racists? Who Says?

Seems like being called a Jock (in 2010) is no grounds for racism
    If I can expand on your summarising of that article, it would be if the tribunal found that there was a causal connection between his flying assessment and the alleged racist comments.

Capt Maughan didn't help his cause by going to the press rather than follow proper procedures - three earlier grievances were thrown out as he had not followed the BA complaints procedure.

And it wasn't just about being called a Jock (nothing wrong with that imho). It was about receiving abusive letters: 'Come Separation, will all Jocks f. off to that Welfare State (paid for by English middle classes)??? Please say yes.'

As noted in earlier posts "Who does this remind you of snigger" context is everything.

Mr Maughan, who lives in Edinburgh, said he was on another trip when a flight officer complained to him that there were too many Asians living in Britain.
    'The captain turned to me and said: "I don't suppose there are many of them up your way."
    'I replied: "Well, there's my wife." After that, they had the decency to fall silent,' he said.
    'There is a canteen culture of racism, especially between pilots, where they use gross racial terms.'
    Perhaps his motivation was political (previous candidate for Scottish parliament), or for racial equality, or self-publicising, or a request for early retirement, or all of the above!

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Banter between friends is a completely different thing. My husband calls my son "stinker" and vice versa but he wouldnt use that term to a man in the street.

Chinaman is not the same as englishman, irishman or scotsman. That would be chineseman.
    Yet Englandman, Irelandman and Scotlandman don't sound bad at all.

I object to the ending "-ish" when describing a people. "-Ish" has a subtextual meaning of "a bit like, but not quite the full Monty" So, "Scotlandman" means "full blooded Scots gentleman, proud and erect, claymore swinging in the breeze as he necks a giant dram and a kilo of porage oats with salt", whereas "Scottish man" means "nearly a real Scotlandman, but with droopy socks, a blunt dirk, drinking Babycham, eating canapes, and wearing underpants underneath his pastel-coloured kilt made of rayon, with an M&S clutch bag as a sporran".

What does scotsman mean then macademia

A rather turgid newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
    I object to the ending "-ish" when describing a people. "-Ish" has a subtextual meaning of "a bit like, but not quite the full Monty
    That's utter grammatical nonsense. 'ish' is appended to a country name (or any pronoun) in order to create a reflexive pronoun, not an adjective.

Smile

Oh dear. You thought that was serious.

Quote Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
    Oh dear. You thought that was serious.
    No. Just thought it was typically ignorant.

"Typically" implies some reasonable familiarity with my writings. It is also a word much used by the inarticulate when they wish to express frustration, without having the linguistic means to to so. as in "(raise eyes heavenwards, say 'tut', then 'typical!").

If you read very, very carefully, the context of my prior remarks is one of light-heartedness, within which framework I felt I had the freedom to indulge myself in a little verbal horseplay. You have decided to take issue with what I have written as a point of grammar, and, as you see it, its correction to suit your estimable standards. I hereby endow you with the Pedant's Revolt Trophy - A large, silver bust, showing a face which is limp. self-satisfied, and humourless. There is an inscription on the leaden base which commends your endeavours, such as they are - "floccinaucinihilipilification", which is, as a scholar so steeped in the language as yourself will surely recognise, "the art of estimating as worthless". You have engaged in this pointless art so well you have become its very representative on earth.

Begone to your cave of self-appointed superiority! There, raise syntactical points with yourself until you, too, become aware of the greatest levelling adage on the planet

"Nobody likes a smart Richard". (We stand in fear of the Moderator, but I feel he would not be unkind on this occasion!)
    Last edited by macadamia; 28-May-13 at 17:55.

To paraphrase my eloquent friend '' shut up you know it all '' .

Engländer, Schottländer, Chinesen, Deutschlander - wen kümmert das? Was macht es aus?
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

"Schottländer " - ja, kann man doch sagen. Aber am besten nicht "Schrottländer" benutzen. Sonst gibst ja wat!

Jawohl meine klein Auslander!
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

here is some great advice for UKIP folk, when you are expressing discriminatory views, you can outwit your critics by accusing them of discriminating against your right to discriminate.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Discriminating used to mean you had taste and a penchant for the finer things in life. When did this change?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456