Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Racists? Who Says?

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I love how the right-wingers here are proving the point that UKIP etc. are populated by racists and bigots.
    Who mentioned ukip

Anyway now we have been throught the world of expletives to describe races. Can anyone explain why referring to a man from China as a Chinaman is so derogatory and /or racist in the context that I used earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Anyway now we have been throught the world of expletives to describe races. Can anyone explain why referring to a man from China as a Chinaman is so derogatory and /or racist in the context that I used earlier?
    If people consider that to be racist, then it follows the title of this film must be racist as well -

" The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain"

I might be wrong, but I do not remember protests regarding the title, when this film was released.

Well they would say that....

but does "Africa is a country" have a point? From the Cartography of bull**** article

Although the results don’t pass the sniff test in the first place, I took a look at the data as well, in an effort to identify the exact problems at play. It turns out that the entire exercise is a methodological disaster, with problems in the survey question premise and operationalization, its use by the Swedish economists and by Fisher, and, as an inevitable result, in Fisher’s additional interpretations. The two caveats that Fisher offered in his post – first, that survey respondents might be lying about their racial views, and second, that the survey data are from different years, depending on the country – only scratch the surface of what is basically a crime against social science perpetrated in broad daylight. They certainly weren’t enough to stop Fisher from compiling and posting his map, even though its analytic base is so weak as to render its message fraudulent.

"Chinaman'? Seriously? You do realise it is 2013?

It's Chinese person, or Chinese man, or Chinese woman, or just Chinese.
    Missed that memo, can you linky please. Don't see the problem maself. Same as Scotlandman or Englandman

It's a racist and derogatory term.
    Is it? I'd have said Chinaman was more a sexist term myself if I was going to be po-faced and judgmental......but then I think PC to the UK level is absolute and utter bollocks.

The only difference in 2013 from past days is we now have a plethora of quangos and charities defining racism, racist words and racist expressions.....simply in order to keep themselves in jobs. Don't you think they could be doing something more useful with their time and our money than riding their high horses?

Don't take my word for it, just Google 'chinaman racist' and you'll see it is considered so internationally.
    Radical, Man!

Don't take my word for it, just Google 'chinaman racist' and you'll see it is considered so internationally.
    Where you will find a plethora of racist chinamen.Anyway I'm off for a chicken supper.

Radical, Man!

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...64#post1023064
    Last month I celebrated St David's Day and St Paddy's Day with many English, Welsh, and Scots friends.

I hope your English Welsh and Scots friends have recovered from their injuries after being so erroneous to be so rascist in your company..... And I do hope that no one on here who is not one of your friends takes offence at your remarks about St Patricks Day.
    Comrade Flynn seems to have glossed over the fact that in one thread, when it suits him, he refers to St Patrick as St Paddy, but in another thread, suggests that the use of the word "Paddy", is derogatory and racist, and warrants that the utterer of such a word be beaten into a pulp, whilst in yet another thread, he states that anyone who is proven beyond all doubt to be guilty of murder, should not have a finger laid on him, just in case he might happen to be innocent.

Sorry Comrade Flynn, you have the honour of being only number 2 on my Ignore List on the grounds of utter hypocrisy, bordering on dangerous tendencies.

Now, where were we....
    Last edited by orkneycadian; 19-May-13 at 03:01.

Although it would be of little, to no interest to you Comrade Flynn, I wonder how many Chinese actually take offence at the word Chinaman? Perhaps you could point us towards a few relevant complaints. I would have thought that the average citizen is much more concerned with their appalling human and animal rights records.

I ask this, because I have two West Indian friends who abhor the "racist" nonsense aimed at dividing people in the name of left wing, social engineering.

Who mentioned ukip
    That would be Comrade Flynn. He's fixated and mentions UKIP at every opportunity. I wonder how many have taken membership on the strength of his publicity campaign? I know that the Edinburgh fiasco has had a positive outcome in the rapidly rising level of support for Nigel. But Flynn's doing his bit too!

Quote Originally Posted by M Swanson View Post
    Although it would be of little, to no interest to you Comrade Flynn, I wonder how many Chinese actually take offence at the word Chinaman? Perhaps you could point us towards a few relevant complaints. I would have thought that the average citizen is much more concerned with their appalling human and animal rights records. I ask this, because I have two West Indian friends who abhor the "racist" nonsense aimed at dividing people in the name of left wing, social engineering.
    As stated earlier in my experience natives of china referred to themselves as chinamen and they said they spoke chinglish.

Here you go again.... The average citizen is much more concerned with their appalling human and animal rights record. So you cant be both concerned about treating people properly AND concerned about China's human rights issues? Or does China's political performance somehow excuse us from behaving properly? Just like in your world you cant be concerned about the appalling welfare reforms and yet still aspire to do well and own your own home.

Mi16 your chinese colleagues can say what they like about themselves, just like orkneycadians pal Paddy can enjoythe banter with his friends and M Swanson and her West Indian Friends can bemoan the creeping tide of communist and trotskyite enemies of the state. There are NO words that must never be used or spoken but there are words which can cause offense and are better not used in situations which are outwith our own comfy world.

There can be much nonsense spoken about Diversity but why would you persist on using a term which is deemed to be derogatory and unpleasant when you dont have to.
    Last edited by squidge; 19-May-13 at 09:08.

Although it would be of little, to no interest to you Comrade Flynn, I wonder how many Chinese actually take offence at the word Chinaman? Perhaps you could point us towards a few relevant complaints. I would have thought that the average citizen is much more concerned with their appalling human and animal rights records.

I ask this, because I have two West Indian friends who abhor the "racist" nonsense aimed at dividing people in the name of left wing, social engineering.
    Of course you do.
    Radical, Man!

I know that the Edinburgh fiasco has had a positive outcome in the rapidly rising level of derision for Nigel. But Flynn's doing his bit too!
    Fixed that for you.
    Radical, Man!

As stated earlier in my experience natives of china referred to themselves as chinamen and they said they spoke chinglish.
    Your experience being ordering a takeaway from your local restaurant over the phone once a month?
    Radical, Man!

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Here you go again.... The average citizen is much more concerned with their appalling human and animal rights record. So you cant be both concerned about treating people properly AND concerned about China's human rights issues? Just like in your world you cant be concerned about the appalling welfare reforms and yet still aspire to do well and own your own home. There can be much nonsense spoken about Diversity but why would you persist on using a term which is deemed to be derogatory and unpleasant when you dont have to.
    Because right-wingers like M Swanson and ml16 have to make themselves feel superior to others somehow, and the easiest way they can do that is by using derogatory nicknames and terminology for people not like them.
    Radical, Man!

Your experience being ordering a takeaway from your local restaurant over the phone once a month?
    At least read the posts.

Because right-wingers like M Swanson and ml16 have to make themselves feel superior to others somehow, and the easiest way they can do that is by using derogatory nicknames and terminology for people not like them.
    To be fair, Flynn.....isn't that just what you are doing as well..making yourself appear superior to those who use perceived derogatory/racist terms because they don't weigh every word on the scales of PC acceptability before writing them.

Some of us older people still tend to use the words we always have, because they were not meant as a racist epithet then and are not now. Care to explain how adding loads of words into the verboten category is going to do anything to combat real racism? I don't see/hear Farage using those kinds of words..and I don't remember the BNP hierarchy using them out loud either.....does that make them any less racist?

Chinaman is archaic, certainly..and by some Chinese (predominantly in America because of historical connotations) may be viewed as derogatory....but it is not racist, it denotes the old description of a native of China.....chink or chinkie is racist. Bandying the racist description about, aimed at individuals with no intention of being racist, on fora, is more to do with po-faced posters clapping themselves on the back than any knowledge of intention. Too many folk have too little to do in life that they can turn a thread about racism into one on semantics.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast