Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Racists? Who Says?

I dont think you are racist mi16, its just an old fashioned term with derogatory overtones which is out of place today, thats all.

I think people should stop be so sensitive about a few names. I have been called al-sorts in my time. If you don't rise to them folk usually get fed up with saying it. Any most is just said in banter and fun something which some people as sadly lacking lately.
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Quote Originally Posted by billmoseley View Post
    I think people should stop be so sensitive about a few names. I have been called al-sorts in my time. If you don't rise to them folk usually get fed up with saying it. Any most is just said in banter and fun something which some people as sadly lacking lately.
    Would you call an afro-crribean person 'chalky'? Where does 'banter' end and insult and discrimination begin? The problem with 'banter' is it's only 'banter' when it is between friends and equals and both parties know it is only 'banter'. If anyone I didn't know as a friend use a derogatory Irish nickname to me, they will be unconscious before they end their sentence. I grew up seeing name calling become discrimination become persecution become violence, and I will not tolerate it now, whether it is discrimination dressed up as 'banter' or not.
    Last edited by Flynn; 18-May-13 at 16:51.
    Radical, Man!

yes i would and have but i see you like violence to sort things hmmmmmmmm says a lot about you. Violence should be used to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    If anyone I didn't know as a friend use a derogatory Irish nickname to me, they will be unconscious before they end their sentence.

Well, that sums that up fairly well I think.

yes i would and have but i see you like violence to sort things hmmmmmmmm says a lot about you. Violence should be used to protect.
    You would call an afro-carribean person, to their face, 'chalky'? Do you have any comprehension of how racist that is?
    Radical, Man!

Would you call an afro-crribean person 'chalky'? Where does 'banter' end and insult and discrimination begin? The problem with 'banter' is it's only 'banter' when it is between friends and equals and both parties know it is only 'banter'. If anyone I didn't know as a friend use a derogatory Irish nickname to me, they will be unconscious before they end their sentence. I grew up seeing name calling become discrimination become persecution become violence, and I will not tolerate it now, whether it is discrimination dressed up as 'banter' or not.
    Hmm yet you condone violence on another human being to the point that they lose consciousness?It's a strange old world. Surely walking the other way wod be the better option.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Hmm yet you condone violence on another human being to the point that they lose consciousness?It's a strange old world. Surely walking the other way wod be the better option.
    Not with bigots.
    Radical, Man!

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...64#post1023064
    Last month I celebrated St David's Day and St Paddy's Day with many English, Welsh, and Scots friends.

I hope your English Welsh and Scots friends have recovered from their injuries after being so erroneous to be so rascist in your company..... And I do hope that no one on here who is not one of your friends takes offence at your remarks about St Patricks Day.

Not with bigots.
    So anyone that is intolerant of your views should be beat unconscious then?

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    I dont think you are racist mi16, its just an old fashioned term with derogatory overtones which is out of place today, thats all.
    I also dont think mi16 is coming across as racist and agree its like the word Paki. Pakistanis themselves use the word however it has become unacceptable in current climates due to the very reason Flynn describes 'banter/name calling becomes discrimination becomes persecution becomes violence'

I cant agree with this one having watched my child 'being sensitive' to a few names as you would call it and being persecuted by the few who thought it was fun to engage in a little name calling it wasn't a pleasant experience.

This is so true.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    So anyone that is intolerant of your views should be beat unconscious then?
    That is not what I said.
    Radical, Man!

I spent some of my later teenage years working in Birmingham mixing with many races. yes i called a black man chalky and i was called white honky in turn not offence wasn't taken on either side. The place this took place Longbridge car plant on of the most militant places in Britain at the time. A name doesn't mean you can't respect that person.
    Last edited by billmoseley; 18-May-13 at 18:45.

Yes, it is. It's what you do, Comrade Flynn.

I lived in cosmpolitan London for years and at varying times, I've been called all sorts. "Honky Tonk; snowdrop, whitey, pommie, wigger .... you name it and guess what? I couldn't give a damn. Why should I? I'm proud of who I am and it's hardly my fault if others don't perceive it that way, is it? That's their problem and I'm not responsible for it. My father was always called Jock and never had a problem with it. In fact, I think he was proud for folks to know he was a Scot. Too darned right.
    Funny you should challenge folks to call a black man "Chalky." I've been called it, but how is chalky white relevant in this example?

And why is it not acceptable to abbreviate the word Pakistani, but Brit's okay? BTW. Your Christian name isn't Michael, or Patrick, is it?
    Last edited by M Swanson; 18-May-13 at 18:46.

I love how the right-wingers here are proving the point that UKIP etc. are populated by racists and bigots.
    Radical, Man!

I love how the right-wingers here are proving the point that UKIP etc. are populated by racists and bigots.
    And I love how extreme left wingers are still trying to peddle the racist card. Still, if that's all you've got Comrade Flynn, I suppose there's nowhere else to hang your hat. Desperate times and my how UKIP are breathing much needed fresh air into the political establishment in Britain. No wonder CF is so obsessed! Bring it on, pal.

Quote Originally Posted by M Swanson View Post
    And I love how extreme left wingers are still trying to peddle the racist card. Still, if that's all you've got Comrade Flynn, I suppose there's nowhere else to hang your hat. Desperate times and my how UKIP are breathing much needed fresh air into the political establishment in Britain. No wonder CF is so obsessed! Bring it on, pal.
    Really? The first time he's questioned properly Farage threw a tantrum and hung up the phone. And that was just a local BBC Scotland radio host. He'll have no chance if the likes of Paxman get hold of him. Farage is a joke, UKIP as an entity gets funnier every day as racists and ignoramii make the headlines, and the whole country are laughing at them.
    Radical, Man!

Quote Originally Posted by M Swanson View Post
    And why is it not acceptable to abbreviate the word Pakistani, but Brit's okay?
    It seems that over time it has been deemed unacceptable due to the descriptive words that are normally teamed up with it. As a child we often stated we were nipping to the Paki shop on the corner which was an acceptable term. Due to changing climates and the fact that it is more often used as name calling and discriminatory it has led to the way it is today.

Really? The first time he's questioned properly Farage threw a tantrum and hung up the phone. And that was just a local BBC Scotland radio host. He'll have no chance if the likes of Paxman get hold of him. Farage is a joke, UKIP as an entity gets funnier every day as racists and ignoramii make the headlines, and the whole country are laughing at them.
    Yes, really! "Questioned properly?" All he received was a series of biased, sneering comments dressed up as questions. The BBC just doing what it does best, courtesy of the fee payers who should be receiving unbiased, politically neutral interviews and news items. When did we last enjoy that? Too long ago for me to remember.

Anyway, I must awa'. Hope someone else comes along shortly to feed your obsession.

Times move on and just as at one time it was deemed to be acceptable to use the terms chalky or darkie or paki or cripple or educationally sub normal it was also acceptable to stick a sign up which said "no blacks irish or dogs". We know better today. We know that in days past those on the receiving end felt they had to smile and laugh it off. Today we understand that these words masked much racism and discrimination endemic in society at the time these names were in common use. Paki is often excused by people other than pakistanis as a harmless shortening of pakistani. When you have had it daubed three feet high in paint on your wall along with "go home" it tends to appear a bit more threatening. I dont believe that everyone who uses these terms are expressing racist views, often it is age related, older people use the terminology which they used to use years ago; sometimes it is ignorance, people living in areas without much diversity can be ignorant of how offensive these words truly are. We see yet again the suggestion that this is somehow a left wing extreme conspiracy. Its actually just good manners and polite behaviour.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast