Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Child genius?

Default Child genius?

Did anyone else see "child genius" Jacob Barnett on BBC Breakfast yesterday?

I didn't exactly take to his mother's spiel (possibly my problem), so I went for a shower after less than a minute of listening to her.

However, I've just watched a couple of his pedagogical videos, and he does seem to know his stuff. Most of the videos are little more than high school maths, but there's at least one somewhat more impressive video. He reminds me of a young Stephen Wolfram (of Wolfram Alpha, Mathematica and A New Kind of Science fame). I haven't seen enough to know if he's a child genius and future Nobel Prize winner, but I was impressed.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 11-May-13 at 15:15. Reason: typot

I haven't seen Breakfast TV for Years, I am lucky if I am able to get up before 10.30am.

As to your link above I did not understand one bit of it. Perhaps someone can explain it all.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    As to your link above I did not understand one bit of it. Perhaps someone can explain it all.
    I assumed everyone posting on this forum would know what a PT-symmetric lattice is.

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    I assumed everyone posting on this forum would know what a PT-symmetric lattice is.
    So, in other words, you have no idea either.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

My last post was indeed an attempt at ironic deadpan humour, but, having read the abstract and the first paragraph of the quoted article, I now know what it's about. Should I read the rest of it, and then explain it to everyone?

I'll take silence as a "no".

Jacob Barnett is doing very well.

Teen prodigy finds home at Waterloo’s Perimeter Institute

Is he a child genius? A lot of people would surely say so.

Will he win a Nobel Prize? Who knows....