Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Unknown noisey bird...help

Default Unknown noisey bird...help

Hi I'm not much of a bird spotter but having said that I'm curious to know what this bird is, it appeared a few days ago in the bushes/trees behind my house, can't see it so can't describe it sorry but I can hear very clearly with all windows and doors shut even in front of house. It has more than one sound I have made out about 4 or 5 distinctive sounds, and it is constant, never rests. It also starts early and you can still hear it at 10/11 o clock at night, so it's the last thing I hear at night and the first thing I hear in the morning, although I love to hear the birds singing in the morning this is driving me bananas and would love to know what kind of bird it is, if anyone could help I would be so grateful.

Hi,

I'm like you jekyll n hyde, not really much of a bird watcher at all, but I would make a rough guess that "your" noisy bird is a starling. They are great imitaters of many sounds and so, gauging by what you're hearing, ie - varied calls, this bird could possibly be the culprit ! Also at this time of year (mating season and light evenings) they will be more common than normal (also the fact that you've only heard it most recently, suggests that it has a nest /chicks nearby too).

If I'm correct, (no doubt someone else, more versed up on bird life than myself will correct me!) then they can put up an infernal racket !!
    Last edited by cherokee; 09-May-13 at 19:48.
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

Here is a link to the RSPB bird identifier where you can hear the Starling's song. http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...ing/index.aspx
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Is this your culprit?? If so its a Song Thrush our one has been driving us nuts for days now and is still chirping away as I type. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WQNI...ature=youtu.be
    Away with the birds

Red face

Thank you all so much for answering my pleas of help, I wasn't sure if anyone could help especially with no picture or description as it happens I managed to get a good look at it this morning, sitting bold as brass on top of the lamp post just behind my garden gate singing its little heart out (much to my annoyance!). Anyway I went to get my camera on returning it had disappeared (damn). So on looking at your helpful web links it turns out that you were right Kas, it is in fact a song thrush that is driving me crazy. I'm pleased I now know what it is, but unfortunately I still have to put up with it chirping its heart an soul out. Just would like to why has it suddenly decided to visit here!!! Thanks again to all.

It could be a bird singing machine to ward off cats
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Might be worth walking down and around there, it might scare it off and mean it settles somewhere else, you wouldn't need to do anything scary. Although, you could force it to leave a nest, and so maybe it's best to leave it and just put up with it for now.
    I have a brilliant secret when it comes to bird watching. I go out early while it's still dark and sit down somewhere in the woods. When the day begins I scatter live bird food about me, and it attracts loads of them for me to take pictures of, it's brilliant.