Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Redpoll

Default Redpoll

I had at least 3 on the feeder in the garden to-day. It's the first time I've seen them.

Could you send one across please? I've not seen any in years.

I had to contact a friend to come and look, as I couldn't identify them The male has such a bright pink/red front that I was completely confused. There seems to be quite a few around, keeping company with the siskins and goldfinches.

There are two in my garden at the moment. I have lived here for over 5 years and never seen them before, so am well-chuffed. Plus the siskins are back after a two year absence and the goldfinches and greenfinches are here as usual. Let's hope for a good year for all the small featherys.
    I am the Real Ducati!

Two pairs been here in Forse for two weeks now feeding on nyjer seed along with siskins and goldfinches

I am delighted to have two in my garden as well! Mistook them for Linnets at first.

Also have Siskins, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Sparrows, Collared Doves and Starlings who come to feast every day. I love watching and listening to them.

I share your sentiments therealducati. x
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Many more have arrived

Got several visiting here now on a daily basis but the Siskins keep beating them up!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I am delighted to have two in my garden as well! Mistook them for Linnets at first.

Also have Siskins, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Sparrows, Collared Doves and Starlings who come to feast every day. I love watching and listening to them.

I share your sentiments therealducati. x
    Having looked on the RSPB website I am now not sure if they are redpolls or linnets (one of them had a very red front), or even both. They are about half the size of a sparrow.
    In addition to all the birds Liz listed, robins and all four species of tit (no rude comments please) we also have two very large wood pigeons visiting every day, for the first year ever- they are driving the cats wild so it is a good job they cannot access that part of the garden.
    I am the Real Ducati!

Sounds like a Redpoll if it's 1/2 the size of a Sparrow, a Linnet is a little larger although they are about the county at the moment with the males wearing some very heavy blushes but I suppose that's allowed as it is Spring!

Funny you should say that I`ve never seen one here or heard of them before and I`ve had 4 in my garden at Berriedale this week, which area do you live in ?

We had three in our garden over the last couple of days, aren't they lovely birds?

Default redpoll ? at skitten

first time mother has had them at hers as well
    also
    siskins
    blue tit
    greenfinch
    great tit
    coal tit
    chaffinch
    bramling
    gold finch
    wren
    robin
    sparrow
    starling
    blackbird
    thrush
    swallow
    swift
    when i go out to hers my nose is usually glued to her window watching them

I've just discovered that we do actually have Linnets in the garden as well as Redpoll.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

seriously jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!