Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wicker v's Pulteney

Default Wicker v's Pulteney

In my travels have spoken to a few from the other side and in conversation I called them a Wicker in there defence they said I'am no from Wick I'am from Pulteney what's that all about are they a different breed?? Above the dirty ones!!

It's about the town being divided into Wick and Pulteneytown, by the river.

Or am I being too obvious?

This may seem like a silly question but I am sure I was once told there was an area referred to as Ducksie ? Not sure how to spell it.

Duxie is the Grant Street area if my memory serves me right.

Wick is the area known by many people but if speaking to a person from the area you would make the difference.

Yur eethur a poltneyer or a weeker depending on fit side oe aye rivur ye wis bore"n as ayed ust till bay two toons poltney an week.........
    "No matter how i struggle and strive i"llnever get out of this world alive"...Hank Williams

Educationally, I'm a Rat, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by cullpacket View Post
    In my travels have spoken to a few from the other side and in conversation I called them a Wicker in there defence they said I'am no from Wick I'am from Pulteney what's that all about are they a different breed?? Above the dirty ones!!
    Those from the other side like to have their own identity. That's fine with us.

Your all basically the same, 6 or 7 000 lunatics clinging to a rock. Aye , thats the way the rest of the world sees Wick

\town not divided by river as such but rather two separate towns, Wick the original one and Pulteney built in the 1800's by the Scottish Fisheries Society. Hence the names in Pulteneytown mostly being called after designers/ builders etc. (Huddart, Saulton, Telford, Loch, Vansittert to name but a few). The were both independant in their own right, own police forces, council etc. until joined and amalgamated into one single town at the start of the 1900's.