Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death Penalty

Default The Death Penalty

I have no wish to discuss the death penalty.

If I start a thread on say - cars, and someone brings up the subject of hamsters, I still wish to discuss the subject of cars.

If I wish to discuss the nature of Democracy, then that is what I wish to discuss.

If someone wishes to discuss a particular aspect of Democracy, then they are fully entitled to do so; but if it becomes a diversion then it merits another thread.

There appears to be a constituency on these boards for a discussion of the Death Penalty which is one of the topics that one might bring into a micro-examination of hundreds of Democratic issues, but since my intention was rather more Meta I decline to take part in this discussion.

This is something I did not bring up and had/ have no wish to discuss, for good reasons of my own.

I am led to wonder that if I started a thread on any topic whatsoever if it could be turned into a discussion of the Death Penalty; maybe I should start one on Ham Sandwiches and see where that goes.

However, if you wish to do so, please discuss the Death Penalty on this thread.

I shall not be taking part, shall not be advertising my views and will not post on this thread at all.

Knock yersel' out guys...
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Civilised countries don't have state sanctioned murder.

The USA has the death penalty, I see no end of murder, rape, robbery etc. in that country.
    Radical, Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Civilised countries don't have state sanctioned murder.

The USA has the death penalty, I see no end of murder, rape, robbery etc. in that country.
    And if you look at "The Boston Bombing" thread, you will see that America can use the death penalty when they see fit, regardless whether the crime was committed in a state which sanctions it, or not.

This is the link which explains it better than I can - http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...nalty/2099413/
    Last edited by cptdodger; 21-Apr-13 at 17:39. Reason: added link

i d like to know your views if it was your wife ,husband ,son ,daughter, brother, sister, mother or father that was murdered . would you still think 8 or 9 years in a cushy nick would be punishment enough. im not a believer in god , but do snt it not state somewhere in it , an eye for an eye???

we do not have a deterent for crime in this country , human rights my arse . the dead victim s never got that option . it s about time some old values were reinstalled.

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    i d like to know your views if it was your wife ,husband ,son ,daughter, brother, sister, mother or father that was murdered . would you still think 8 or 9 years in a cushy nick would be punishment enough. im not a believer in god , but do snt it not state somewhere in it , an eye for an eye???

we do not have a deterent for crime in this country , human rights my arse . the dead victim s never got that option . it s about time some old values were reinstalled.
    I never stated whether I was for or against the death penalty. I was just providing an example of what is happening in America in reference to the Boston Marathon Bombs.

Only one thing to discuss. Does it work as in stop or reduce violent crime? In any place or time it has been used, the answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Only one thing to discuss. Does it work as in stop or reduce violent crime? In any place or time it has been used, the answer is no.
    Who cares, let's hang 'em all....

John Little, you started a thread to discuss the death penalty without wishing to discuss it LOL

No, it's not a deterrent but a life in jail isn't either and tax payers have to pay for the convicts for years. So if we see the issue from the human rights side, I can define the matter as controversial and difficult to settle on a common ground... On the practical side, there would be less scum in the national jails....
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. "

- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinScot View Post
    Who cares, let's hang 'em all....

John Little, you started a thread to discuss the death penalty without wishing to discuss it LOL

No, it's not a deterrent but a life in jail isn't either and tax payers have to pay for the convicts for years. So if we see the issue from the human rights side, I can define the matter as controversial and difficult to settle on a common ground... On the practical side, there would be less scum in the national jails....
    The major problem with the death penalty is those who have been found guilty and then many years late found to of been innocent. There have been a number of instances where this has happened, including so called 'child killers'.

How do you bring these people back to life, once they have been hung?

I can guarantee the hung person won't kill again, not so with a prison sentence.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post
    The major problem with the death penalty is those who have been found guilty and then many years late found to of been innocent. There have been a number of instances where this has happened, including so called 'child killers'.

In the past mistakes were made, with the advance in science DNA and the likes the likelihood of mistakes are very much at a minimal.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    I can guarantee the hung person won't kill again, not so with a prison sentence.
    Well think of this, the leading example; states in America where death row is populated primarily by the poor and underprivilaged, those who can't afford the best representation or those society values less. Do you want to be part of that system?

Rich people's sons and daughters don't end up on death row.
    Last edited by ducati; 21-Apr-13 at 22:09.

Well think of this, the leading example; states in America where death row is populated primarily by the poor and underprivilaged, those who can't afford the best representation or those society values less. Do you want to be part of that system?

Rich people's sons and daughters don't end up on death row.
    If they are guilty and proved so, so be it, as i stated the age we live in with science etc mistakes should be minimal almost impossible. But your point taken over there.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by gerry4 View Post

Tell this to a crime victim's family. There are more guilty criminals out of jail than innocent people in. A perfect justice system doesn't exist.
    Do you know that the 'excuse' you just mentioned is the reason why 95% of sex offenders are at large in Scotland? Well I'd prefer them hung, to be honest..instead of looking over my shoulder all the time when it's dark.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. "

- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post

That's why we have judges and don't leave 'justice' to ill-educated vigilante groups.
    Radical, Man!

A ham sandwich could be construed as the death penalty for a pig !!!! And thats about as stupid as a load of old tosh that gets put on here by the same old culprits over and over again, Dont even think of Dissing me.LoL

As strange as this may sound, I do'nt think the death penalty was ever meant to be a deterrent, it is a punishment. Take that person in Norway that slaughtered 77 people in 2011. The death penalty would not have deterred him. He was sentenced to 21 years in prison which means, if he convinces the "powers that be" that he has reformed, he could be walking the streets when he is 53. I fail to see the justice in that.

From Wikipedia - "The second psychiatric evaluation was published one week before the trial, concluding that Breivik was not psychotic during the attacks nor during the evaluation"

Which means this guy was perfectly sane when he carried out this atrocity. I'm sorry if this offends anybody, but I for one would not lose any sleep (if Norway had the death penalty) if he had been given the death penalty.

Personally speaking... I would far prefer the Death Penalty over Life Imprisonment.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Personally speaking... I would far prefer the Death Penalty over Life Imprisonment.
    As the criminal or victim (victim's family)?

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    As the criminal or victim (victim's family)?
    Sorry... Should have been more specific...

As the Criminal.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I think this may be a sign of the apparent problems that seem to be with the justice system, and that is partially perceptive and subjective.

On one hand, lets say the surviving Boston suspect was in the UK. He'd have several murders, conspiracy, explosives and weapons charges against him that the potential prison term would be seriously long. Say 'life' minimum 40 year term.

On the other hand, say one half of a couple kills the other in a premeditated attack, in effect murder. * But pleads guilty to manslaughter and states diminished responsibility, gets a decent lawyer, potentially their out in 4.

But, if we had a 'life for a life' death sentence, which would be fair? Or more fairer? Or more unfair?

Drifting, or crossing the threads a bit. This is what is intriguing me about the the Boston suspect. If I were in his shoes, I think I would have potted myself!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast