Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: History of Norse Caithness

Default History of Norse Caithness

Does anyone know of a book on Norse settlements in Caithness? How did they treat the Picts that presumably already lived in Caithness?

There are a few books about Caithness and its history, including Norse settlements.

Try to look for them at a local library or bookshops

I read one a few months ago but I borrowed it from a friend and I don't remember the title, sorry
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. "

- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Thank you MerlinScot. Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I haven't had a chance to look in local libraries or bookshops as I haven't been in Caithness since last year.

Have you remembered the title of the book yet?

Try to get your hands on The Raven Banner, a guide to Viking Caithness by Ian Cassells
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Since the original post, Barbara Crawford's published The Northern Earldoms, covering the Norse earldom on both sides of the Firth from 870 to 1470. It's a big solid read at a hefty £25, but well worth a look. Problem with the early Norse settlement period is that much of what we have is from sagas written generations after the event. By definition they're from the Norse point of view, so we don't have a description from the Pictish side. Crawford has a pretty detailed look at settlements and place-names as well, but even that doesn't give a clear picture of the early days.

Brilliant! Thank you! I have some familiarity with the work of Barbara Crawford.

I don't know about Ian Cassells, even though the name rings a bell. Can anyone tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by Maladroit View Post
    Brilliant! Thank you! I have some familiarity with the work of Barbara Crawford.

I don't know about Ian Cassells, even though the name rings a bell. Can anyone tell me?
    Ian is the manager of the Royal Mail in Thurso, or was
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I must have been thinking of a different Cassells. Thanks for your input.