Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary Skea View Post
    Yes Tricia, and George Swanson's sister Isabel married James Budge which made Georgina and her husband, James Budge 2nd cousins ! A comment about them being related was written on their marriage certificate. Georgina's sister Isabella never married and lived with Georgina at Bigton in Shetland and died there. They both lived with their granny McAdie in Watten prior to going to Shetland - both parents were deceased pre 1859.

Hi Rosemary
    My GGGGrandfather William Swanson married Janet Stephen 1864. they went to Shetland from bower, he was farm manager for a mr Budge at bigton farm Dunrossness his son George Swanson was born there, they retuned to Caithness about 1858.
    William had a brother George baptised 13/4/1799. I would imagine there would be a tie somewhere, too many coincidences.
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Farmer View Post
    Hi Rosemary
    My GGGGrandfather William Swanson married Janet Stephen 1864. they went to Shetland from bower, he was farm manager for a mr Budge at bigton farm Dunrossness his son George Swanson was born there, they retuned to Caithness about 1858.
    William had a brother George baptised 13/4/1799. I would imagine there would be a tie somewhere, too many coincidences.
    Tommy
    Hello Tommy, nice to "hear" from you again. In the 1841 census William was an ag labourer and William Bruce and family were still at Bigton House, but by 1851 Bruce and family had left and William was the farm manager. The farm was put up for rent in 1855 and that was when James Budge came there. I would have thought that your William would have left Bigton when the Budge family arrived as 4 sons came with them, so no need for hired help.

I seem to remember in the distant past that I had an attempt at looking at your Swanson line, but I can't remember if I found any connection. We have a connection with Swanson's from Bower through Margaret Robertson - she was married to the James who came to Bigton. One day when I have nothing to do I will have a look again.

Regards from a dull and cloudy Brisbane

Rosemary

And nice to hear from you too rosemary, would you swap your wet and cloudy, for a wet and snowy.
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Parker-Duke View Post
    Hi Tricia.
    John and I are related through the Weirs, yes.
    John and I are related through James Weir who married first Jane Sutherland (their first, John, is my ancestor) and then Jean Cormack (their daughter Elizabeth is John's ancestor). Not related to the Harpers you mentioned though.
    Are you related through the Weirs?
    Bonnie
    Main link is via MORE family.
    John with the line of Catherine Groat More b 1888. I am a MORE and therefore probably relate to most MOREs in Caithness.

I have your line showing in my tree but not explored in depth yet. We may relate yet!

Tricia

Default Weir/More connection

Thanks, Tricia! Please! Let me know if you make that connection! I'll let you know if I find anything!

Happy searching!

Default Harpers in Wick

Hi Tricia – Hi Bonnie - I hope all’s well with you both.

Re: your correspondence with each other last February, which I just stumbled upon, I believe there’s a definite and close link between William Harper/ Janet Cook (married in Wick 2 March 1799) and David Harper/ Barbara Robertson (married in Wick 21 December 1822).

Their common Harper ancestors are John Harper & Margaret Sinclair. This couple had at least 9 children, including John Harper (baptized 1 February 1772 Wick) and William Harper (baptized 14 June 1776).

Of these children, John Harper married Margaret Swanson 19 January 1789 in Wick, and their 7th child (of 9) was the David Harper (baptized 5 February 1799) who married Barbara Robertson.

John’s brother William Harper – who became a staff surgeon in the British army - married Janet Cook.

In other words William was David Harper’s uncle.

At least that’s according to notes I have on file.

And Bonnie, yes, I've not forgotten, we will one day track down what became of David's sons William & Alexander in North America!

John

Default William Harper and Janet Cook

Hi Tricia,
    just joined Caithness.org and found your posting re William Harper and Janet Cook.

I am descended from William Harper and Janet Cook/Cock
    John Harper - Mary Robb
    John Harper - Catherine Sutherland
    David Harper- Margaret Ann Grant
    John Harper - Constance A Caswell
    Cecil Caswell Harper - Clara Marion Pope Mcjannet
    John Harper (me)

Contact me if this is of interest to you and we can maybe swap info in more detail.

John Harper of York

Hi John
    Welcome to the ORG.
    Not sure what I posted
    You are indeed my 5thcousin 1R.
    My claim link to the line above is Catherine Sutherland.
    Also
    John Harper and Mary Robb had son James Harper who married Jessie Corner 1879. They had a daughter Mary Robb Harper who married my 1C2r Alexander Johnston - Wick (moved to Canada).

Not sure how much data I have on this Harper line -

Tricia
    born a MORE in Wick

Hi John -
    Have you seen the following message posted by Ron Harper ten years ago 10/9/2001 on the Harper Family Genealogy Forum? [ http://genforum.genealogy.com/harper/messages/4923.html ] I believe he was referring your William Harper, the husband of Janet Cook.
    "I have a William Harper born Wick, Caithness, 14 June 1776. His father was John Harper and mother was Margaret Sinclair born abt 1755.
    William was a Staff Surgeon at Chelsea, England - probably with rank of Colonel."
    Best regards,
    John in Toronto

Hello all,

I just thought I'd throw the following into the mix - it seems to be unrelated to the Harper line discussed so far, but here is hoping someone links in :-)

First link is Williamina Sutherland - my GGGG aunt - married Donald Harper 30 Sept 1870. Donald was the son of John Harper and Janet Donaldson.

Second link I have is Alexander Wares - he married my GGGG aunt, Margaret Dallas. Their son Alexander Wares married Elizabeth Harper, 14 Nov 1872 - daughter of Donald Harper and Jessie Heddle.

Third link is Margaret "Maggie" Dallas - my 1st cousin 4 times removed - married William Harper 5 Nov 1875. William was the son of William Harper and Charlotte Sutherland.

If anyone has any links, please let me know.

Regards,
    Steven
    Last edited by sgmcgregor; 07-Mar-11 at 20:51. Reason: Wrong Family Relationship

Default Williamina Sutherland - my GGGG aunt - married Donald Harper 30 Sept 1870

Quote Originally Posted by sgmcgregor View Post
    Hello all,

I just thought I'd throw the following into the mix - it seems to be unrelated to the Harper line discussed so far, but here is hoping someone links in :-)

First link is Williamina Sutherland - my GGGG aunt - married Donald Harper 30 Sept 1870. Donald was the son of John Harper and Janet Donaldson.

Second link I have is Alexander Wares - he married my GGGG aunt, Margaret Dallas. Their son Alexander Wares married Elizabeth Harper, 14 Nov 1872 - daughter of Donald Harper and Jessie Heddle.

Third link is Margaret "Maggie" Dallas - my 1st cousin 4 times removed - married William Harper 5 Nov 1875. William was the son of William Harper and Charlotte Sutherland.

If anyone has any links, please let me know.

Regards,
    Steven
    Donald Harper & Williamina Sutherland - m 30 Sept 1870 are my Great Grandparents, my Grandfather John Harper married Edith Clark in South Australia and lived at Alberton, near Port Adelaide; John died at Alberton aged 99yrs in about 1975. John and his parents arrived in South Australia in about 1883. We are unsure where John was born.

I would be grateful for any further information regarding Donald, Williamina or John. I am happy to give you any details I already have, if you need them.

Default Donald and Williamina

Good evening. It would appear that there is no Donald or Williamina on the 1881 UK census

"Williamina Sutherland - my GGGG aunt - married Donald Harper 30 Sept 1870" They were my Great Grandparents who emigrated to South Australia - I would be very grateful if anyone has further information regarding Donald, Williamina or their family.

Thanks

Phillip

Phillip,

I'll send you a pm with my email address, and I'll give you all of the information I have on the Harper/Sutherland connection.

Steven

To wick001
    Have sent you a pm
    Eric

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12