Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: White Tailed Eagle

Default White Tailed Eagle

Poss sighting on hill above Auckengill. Truly massive bird of prey flying low over moorland very distinctive bright white tail, other details unclear. Looked very like the one pictured on RSPB identifier although they don't seem to be in this area yet.

How likely is it, and could it have been something more mundane?

Thumbs up Nice One

They are distintictive by there size more than anything and could very well be one as young eagles especially wander about this time of year. I dont know too much about eagles but one of the more experienced birders will know more.There was a juvenile White-tailed Eagle at Broubster Leans last Spring, what a size of bird.
    You cant rule out Golden Eagle either as juveniles also have a white tail. Interesting sighting, thanks for posting the info and be sure to let us know if you see it again.
    Away with the birds

Quote Originally Posted by kas View Post
    They are distintictive by there size more than anything and could very well be one as young eagles especially wander about this time of year. I dont know too much about eagles but one of the more experienced birders will know more.There was a juvenile White-tailed Eagle at Broubster Leans last Spring, what a size of bird.
    You cant rule out Golden Eagle either as juveniles also have a white tail. Interesting sighting, thanks for posting the info and be sure to let us know if you see it again.
    Thanks kas, I'd be just as pleased if it was a juvy Golden Eagle and it was my first thought. Did I mention?, it was massive

Yes they are massive.........
    News just in 2 white tailed eagles were seen on Hoy today...........
    A juv and an adult, could even be one of thos you saw as it wouldnt take long for one to fly between Auckengill and Hoy.
    Away with the birds

Quote Originally Posted by kas View Post
    Yes they are massive.........
    News just in 2 white tailed eagles were seen on Hoy today...........
    A juv and an adult, could even be one of thos you saw as it wouldnt take long for one to fly between Auckengill and Hoy.
    Brilliant! It seems quite possible then.

From your discription of massive I would say Yes it sounds like an eagle, the Hoy sightings make it likely a White-tailed Eagle.
    When I saw the white tailed eagle last year, "massive" was my one word description.
    Great sighting.
    Away with the birds

Just to give you some idea of the size of these birds here's a photo I took of a pair of birds feeding on a dead fox.

White Tailed Sea Eagles Feeding on Dead Fox.

nirofo.

Wow! My sighting was from a good distance but they look very like what I saw. Great picture.