Four outlets sold to Beggs Shoes and Bags

Following the announcement on 4th January 2013 by William Smith (Shoe Merchants) Ltd., the Dundee based parent company of DE Shoes and Foot Factory, that it was consulting with staff concerning the future of the business, it has been confirmed that the sale of 4 of the 27 outlets of DE Shoes and 1 of the 4 outlets of Foot Factory, was completed on Monday 25th March 2013.
Managing Director, Robert Sinclair, said that this was a positive development. He explained, “DE Shoes in Elgin, Inverurie, Kirkwall and Lerwick and Foot Factory in Peterhead have been successfully transferred to Begg Shoes and Bags Ltd. Although it is very sad to see some of our colleagues and friends move on from our family business and for William Smith’s to end the link with these local communities that have been so well served, in most cases, for generations, under the circumstances it is very pleasing that almost a quarter of our staff have their jobs secured and their local communities will continue to be served by these excellent individuals.
“Begg Shoes and Bags Ltd. is another long standing family business with a proud history of serving local communities. I wish them and their new staff a very prosperous future. The five transferred stores will continue to trade under the DE Shoes/Foot Factory name for the foreseeable future but customers should understand that they are now owned by a different company so there may be some changes in due course.
“With regards to the remaining William Smith’s business, the 90 day consultation period continues with the staff but a decision on the future of the business is expected to be made at its likely conclusion on 19th April.
“I would like to stress that we are continuing to consult with interested parties looking to take on any of the remaining stores as going concerns. We still see this as the best way to avoid or reduce further the potential need to make redundancies and I am very keen to talk to anyone interested and will readily provide more information on request.”
For any enquiries relating specifically to the properties Graham and Sibbald are acting as selling agents on the Company’s behalf. The primary contact is Andrew Dandie in their Dundee office, 01382 200064 or through local offices.