Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Bull Breed Defenders

Default Bull Breed Defenders

I was just wondering what the forum members thought of this
    http://bull-breed-defenders.org.uk/
    I'm on the fence on this one....

Question

I confess that I don't know much about this breed but my thoughts are that many dogs who are classed as 'dangerous' are the result of bad ownership.
    In the case of pitbulls so many of these poor dogs are used for dogfighting so are trained to kill.
    I see that the RSPCA have carried out many raids to rescue such dogs.

Any dog who is not trained or disciplined has the capacity to cause harm.

It makes me sad to see these dogs 'demonised'.

I agree Liz, any dog whether trained or not can cause harm, it just so happens that these breeds are bigger and more powerful and can cause more damage than say a little Jack Russel Terrier. Opps, didn't stay on the fence for long... ban the deed not the breed, doh! did I say that out loud.

Glad you came off the fence. Can get pretty painful sitting there!

Yes I agree with your point about these being a more powerful breed.
    I just wish there was a way to stop dogs like these 'getting into the wrong hands' but,sadly, I can't see this being possible.

I think with lots of people they don't research what dog would be best for their lifestyle and that's why are there are so many unwanted dogs in shelters.

I don't know what the answer is do you?

If it was just that they are bigger and stronger than say a yorkie, why then are the likes of Newfoundlands not on this list, ours weigh in at about 12st each.

Having said that, there is no way I would leave a child unattended with them, it just aint safe.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Liz there are genuine people who love bull breeds and have done for years and bred their dogs as companions and for protection of their families. There is also a sport where the strength of the dogs are tested by pulling weights etc. So when the police raid premises and discover training equipment they jump on the band wagon and sensationalize the situation, tell Jo public they've found evidence of dog fighting in hope that the local pitbull owners get grassed up.
    changilass don't hold your breath, if some members of the present goverment get their way all large breeds will be on the prohibited list.

Never realised that GaryB!!!! That is awful!!!

Sounds like the authorities wanting to be seen to be doing something about the situation in the midst of these awful attacks on children and possibly punishing the innocents (both owners and dogs!) in the process!
    Very worrying!

What do you think is the best course of action to protect these breeds which are used for fighting and stopping such powerful dogs getting into the wrong hands?

Also do you think that the media should be reporting these dog attacks?
    All it seems to do is cause hysteria?

Something definitely has to be done but has to be given much more thought and I hope the government will consult with many dog 'experts' for advice.

To be honest its a matter of waiting to see what the goverment come up with, they seem to ban want to everything, first hunting with dogs, what next, shooting, fishing, large breeds?
    As for the media, rotties are last months news, theres always a motive behind the way they report something.
    Last edited by gary.b; 12-Jan-07 at 19:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I see that the RSPCA have carried out many raids to rescue such dogs..
    not rescued, taken and destroyed.

The poor wee girl who got killed by the pit bull type dog, has brought this all to the front pages, but what i want to know is, why a known drug dealer was allowed to keep such a dog? even after two warnings from the local council on the grounds that it had attacked twice before on humans and other animal?

it should have been PTS after the first incident?

Also no dog should EVER be left alone with a small child, no matter the breed or nature of the dog, its not worth taking that risk.

That is definatly a case of a bad owner creating a bad dog, these dogs were originaly bred for hunting and fighting and that trait remains in them.
    I don't believe they should have been banned, the goverment should have placed restrictions on their ownership. As we know anything that gets banned goes underground and can't be regulated.
    Last edited by gary.b; 12-Jan-07 at 20:33.

Did you see that the moron who owned the dog who attacked his niece had a cord at her funeral?!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    not rescued, taken and destroyed.

The poor wee girl who got killed by the pit bull type dog, has brought this all to the front pages, but what i want to know is, why a known drug dealer was allowed to keep such a dog? even after two warnings from the local council on the grounds that it had attacked twice before on humans and other animal?

it should have been PTS after the first incident?

Also no dog should EVER be left alone with a small child, no matter the breed or nature of the dog, its not worth taking that risk.
    If these dogs who were 'rescued' were genuinely being used for dog fighting then they would be better being pts don't you think?

Yes it does beggar belief why this idiot still had the dog!

Totally agree that a dog and child should not be left alone unsupervised.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    If these dogs who were 'rescued' were genuinely being used for dog fighting then they would be better being pts don't you think?

Yes it does beggar belief why this idiot still had the dog!

Totally agree that a dog and child should not be left alone unsupervised.
    liz i wasnt getting at you, but whether the dogs were used for fighting or not is the million dollar question, i guess we will never know? But the media are having a feild day anyhows!

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    liz i wasnt getting at you, but whether the dogs were used for fighting or not is the million dollar question, i guess we will never know? But the media are having a feild day anyhows!
    Didn't think you were but thanks anyway!

Totally agree re the media hype!

Did anyone notice what time of the morning this happened? I found myself looking for an answer as to what was that little girl doing downstairs at such a time? This happened in their sitting room in the early hours did it not? I'm sorry but I think there is more to this than we have been told.
    I have bull breeds and have never ever experienced any form of aggression from them. In fact we lost one just over a week ago and I would have given almost anything not to have that happen. I have Bullmastiffs and they were specifically bred to "protect", they were the ultimate night watchmans dog bred to pursue an intruder and then drop them to the ground and Sit on them until their master came and sorted the situation. These are not attack dogs, merely guardians against burglars and poachers. There's a lot to be said as to how a dog is reared and handled. It's a shame some folk use them for fighting activities, they don't really need to do this, it's peoples ideas of macho things that give these dogs a bad name by being forced into a no win situation.
    For my own Bullmastiffs, they are as soft as putty, with us that is, they would never threaten a person coming to our door BUT do not underestimate their loyalty, it is second to none and after all it is what they were bred for. Understand the dog and the breeding behind it, and you're half way to making your relationship with your pet a succesful and happy one.

Wasn't aware of this campaign. It won't work though.
    I just sent them an email which should put me pretty high up on their hit list!

Rather than re-type the sense of it here I'm just going to copy and paste my email to them under the dashes below - it's where I stand on the situation.

I have extensive knowledge of a situation here in Stevenage where there are a great many bull breed dogs, of which I'd guess 60% appear to be owned by 20 something machismo troglodytes.

Having learned of a particular one which came up to an elderly lady who was walking her small terrier on a leash through a public park about 45 seconds walk from where I currently sit, and hearing that the bull mastiff ripped her leashed dog to pieces in front of her I have barely controlled fury about the situation. I have had consultations with the Manager of Animal Services, the local Police force and have written extensively to my MP. That btw, was just one of many incidents. And it is still ongoing, months later.

The letter I sent to the bull breed lovers follows:

-----------------------------------------------------

The current structure for dealing with problem dogs is incorrect. I will agree.

It is too lenient by far. The problem is mainly as you suggest down to bad owners, but not solely. Some specific dogs do have dangerous and agressive natures and should be neutered and if necessary destroyed, their genes eradicated from the pool. This tends to be within certain breeds and is largely not accidental, but it is actual, real. It is current.

As a dog owner myself I would not welcome the expense of a formal licensing system with rigid policing and spot checks, however because there are too many idiots at large with dangerous 4-legged weopons I believe it is necessary.

If children cannot be trusted with a toy that is potentially dangerous then they should not be allowed to have it at all, or only at times where they are supervised properly.

Such are the idiots. I have enough of them living near me to have first hand experience of just how thoughless, arrogant, ignorant, careless and aggressive they are, and just how impotent the authorities currently are to deal with the problem, especially but not only given typical reticence of victims to come forward. I am also aware of timescales. From extensive personal involvement I do know a great deal about this subject and my views are not liable to change.

Breed-specific legislation is, I agree, not a real solution but it's better than living in the hippy days of cloud cuckoo land and thinking that it will police itself or just get better by itself. Objecting to inadequate or unfair legislation is all very well, but may I suggest that you propose an alternative solution. I.E. one that will work.

Yours faithfully

Two good posts there, emb123 it'll be interesting to see if you get a reply, keep us informed.
    Goldenguernsey I had the same thought about the time it ocurred, having said that the dog should never had been in the house.

Exactly Gary.b, it makes me wonder where were the grown ups at the time?
    We took on an adult Bullmastiff male dog who had been chained up his whole life as a guard dog, he was encouraged to be aggresive and I was frightened of him. We were approached to take him as the people knew we had 2 already and they are family pets. When the dog came it had already been passed around a few "homes" but never lived in a house, always outside in a kennel whatever the weather.
    It took me a long time to trust this dog and a long time for him to feel secure, by that I mean him knowing he wasn't going to get put out into his kennel or
    passed on to someone else or mis treated in any way. I gradually built up my relationship with him by brushing him 5 or 6 times every day which he loved. He only has short hair and didn't really need brushing but it was brilliant to see how much he enjoyed it and he responded with great affection. He is now as soft as the others and I would trust him with my life. I often wonder what would have become of him had he still been chained and goaded in that way. He is a big lad and because he's quite ugly looking it can give the appearance of a savage dog, I think that's maybe why he was used as a guard dog in the first place. He is right now laying on the couch watching Emmerdale.
    What do they say? it's a dogs life !