Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Margaret Thatcher

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Sorry G. I really don't know how to respond to this. Are you saying we should have let the Falklands remain in Argentine hands? Or that we as a nation should not have the right to vary the strength of the Armed forces? Virtually every bit of kit sent was obsolete. Luckily, crewed, manned and operated by the most magnificent body of men and women.

Personally I'd have said to hell with it and nuked BA into a glass carpark. (That is why I'm not allowed to operate dangerous machinery. )
    "Watch out, for as soon as it pleases them they’ll send you out to protect their gold in wars whose weapons, rapidly developed by servile scientists, will become more and more deadly until they can with a flick of the finger tear a million of you to pieces..." never truer words spoke, and who said that then ???

RIP Margaret Thatcher.

Another disgusting outpouring of hatred and a total lack of respect for the deceased.
    My concolences to Janet and Sir Mark for the loss of their mother.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Another disgusting outpouring of hatred and a total lack of respect for the deceased.
    What hatred ? Thats your take on things ???

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    What hatred ? Thats your take on things ???
    "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" If that is not hatred that I dont know what is.

Who's Janet? (Whisper)
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    Who's Janet? (Whisper)
    Here she is - http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/staff/jthatcher

or is this her http://www.hanc.com/janet-thatcher/

teehee

"Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" If that is not hatred that I dont know what is.
    Well I just see it as someones opinion on the situation, I could spend all day on here pointing out what I perceive to be hatred.

I'd like to mention her state ceremonial funeral for a moment. Ignoring its high cost, she in no way compares to Churchill or the situation he had to deal with/unique state of the government at that time.

There's also the fact that they're ignoring her wishes so they can put on a spectacle - surprised her family aren't complaining, but then some people do love their pomp, bread and circuses and all that. Easy thing to use as a distraction from other more pressing issues I suppose is the thinking.

Here's a question: Lots of Thatcher supporters have said that Thatcher died in the 90s and that we're celebrating the death of an old women... if that's the case and if the woman who just died wasn't the woman who was PM, why are we paying so much for her funeral?

Also how does one donate to the Swanson-27 charity organisation for the sad, delusional and out-of-touch? I hear just £2 a month buys enough writing supplies for them to send 50 outraged letters-to-the-editor. Of course that was before privatisation so the price has probably increased exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    Here's a question: Lots of Thatcher supporters have said that Thatcher died in the 90s and that we're celebrating the death of an old women... if that's the case and if the woman who just died wasn't the woman who was PM, why are we paying so much for her funeral?

Also how does one donate to the Swanson-27 charity organisation for the sad, delusional and out-of-touch? I hear just £2 a month buys enough writing supplies for them to send 50 outraged letters-to-the-editor. Of course that was before privatisation so the price has probably increased exponentially.
    Having read that utter bilge, I think you would do better to set up a charity for yourself, Rec. Your need is far, far greater than mine, or anyone I know.

Quote Originally Posted by M Swanson View Post
    Having read that utter bilge, I think you would do better to set up a charity for yourself, Rec. Your need is far, far greater than mine, or anyone I know.
    ಠ_ಠ - Really? that's your comeback something which basically boils down to 'Nuh uh you are'... oh well.

Ah well, another day of "incoming". What have we learned so far? The death of Margaret Thatcher has prompted a lively debate of a "Marmite" variety. There is little doubt that opinion falls neatly into two opposing camps:

a) Best thing since sliced bread

b) Devil incarnate

Having viewed the external evidence, I (so far) conclude

i) Those who dislike her tend to be less articulate than those who do.

ii) Those who dislike her sound - and look - ugly when they articulate their hatred (Glenda Jackson, and the sad man from the SNP yesterday, come to mind)

iii) Most governments, friendly or otherwise, recognise her greatness

iv) The Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, the Rt. Hon Ed Miliband, MP, came of age yesterday in his tribute to Margaret Thatcher, where he was able to recognise both her contribution, and his opposition to certain parts of her agenda.

v) Her Queen seems to be a fan. Good enough for me!

vi) There will be hundreds of thousands along the funeral route to see her off. There will be small pockets of the Usual Suspects "celebrating" her passing by destroying property, spraying graffiti, throwing rocks and making prats of themselves

After it is all over, the protestors will go back to looking for another excuse to display their victimhood, and Baroness Thatcher will have her place in history as the first woman Prime Minister, and the woman who slaughtered the evil of the Union Barons, their disgusting anti-democratic block vote and secondary/flying pickets, and their drag-anchor effect on progress.

Well said, mi16. I notice you always post to challenge nasty comments and it speaks much of you as a person. But, the hatefulness and bitterness is not a measure of MH's failure, but testament of her amazing success as a strong, dedicated, leader. It took incredible courage to crush the unions who were holding Britain to ransom and their supporters have never come to terms with their defeat. The insults wash as easily over me and hundreds of thousands of others as I'm confident they would the great lady herself.

I won't labour any more points, because whilst your condolences are sincere and respectful, I'm not aware of your thoughts of her as a PM.

I repeat, RIP, Baroness Thatcher.

The Thatcher effect on the UK's Gini coefficient.

Radical, Man!

That's fairly conclusive. To me anyway. Inequality soared.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    The Thatcher effect on the UK's Gini coefficient.

I can also do charts, sans the misleading cherry picking.

Unemployment levels skyrocketed, and have never returned to pre-Thatcher levels.

GDP per capita was essentially the same as other European countries, who didn't have similar leaders

Actually GDP started in a recession, left in a recession. She presided over a natural recovery, there's a similar Gini index graph for all western democracies at that time.

On a side note and as a point of order GDP is not the Economy.

http://www.neweconomyworkinggroup.org/visions/living-wealth-indicators/gdp-flawed-measure-progress

Then there is also the fact that GDP takes no account of how income is distributed. There could be complete income equality with everyone's purchasing power growing equally. Or the society may be divided between a small minority of the extremely affluent and a majority of the extremely destitute---or anything in between. GDP gives no clue one way or the other. Growth in the incomes of a few billionaires can produce impressive growth in GDP even as a majority of people starve.

Underlying all these deficiencies is the simple fact that GDP is based on market transactions, which means GDP is a measure of the rate at which money is flowing through the economy. Anything that increases the flow is therefore treated as a positive, even if it is clearly a negative for the society. Furthermore, because money metrics make no distinction between phantom wealth and real wealth, activities that generate profits from purely financial transactions unrelated to the creation of anything of real value count as additions to GDP and presumably to national well-being.

That is why restructuring the economy to shrink the manufacturing sector and grow the financial sector could appear to make us richer as a nation, when in fact it reduced our capacity to produce real things in favor of giving priority to generating profits from the exchange of worthless financial assets.
    Thatcher is only really liked by a certain type of person living in the home counties.

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    Actually GDP started in a recession, left in a recession.
    A point of order - her first recession was entirely of her own making. Even Cameron and Osborne wouldn't copy the crimes against economics committed by Thatcher and Howe (aided and abetted by Keith Joseph).

Her second recession was mostly the fault of John Major - before and after he became PM.
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 09-Apr-13 at 11:21. Reason: A bit too unkind to John Major

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    A point of order - her first recession was entirely of her own making. Even Cameron and Osborne wouldn't commit the crimes against economics made by Thatcher and Howe (aided and abetted by Keith Joseph).

Her second recession was entirely the fault of John Major - before and after he became PM.
    And still the people returned her to office ....... three times. She never lost an election. Now, you tell me how Labour improved things and what policies they changed, SiS? 10, 9, 8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast