Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Margaret Thatcher

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Margaret Thatcher

Just been reported on BBC News 24 - Margaret Thatcher died this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155
    Last edited by cptdodger; 08-Apr-13 at 12:55.

Default thatcher dies

suppose its end of a era for most of you now eh??

Gosh. This feels like quite a historical moment.

Oooh, do we get a day off?

They have just said that her funeral will have the same status as the Queen Mother's or Diana's. Although at her own request, she will not lie in state. I worked for Tesco's at the time of Diana's funeral, I remember because it was my last day before maternity leave, and I know all the shops were closed until 2pm. As for the Queen Mother's funeral, I was working that day, so I do'nt know what will happen with this one.

I'm not going to celebrate anyone dying but I certainly won't mourn either. An exceptionally important person in terms of British history even if it was all for the wrong reasons.

Argh, the media and internet are going to be unbearable for the next few days.

Obviously her funeral should be privatised as the private sector is more profitable. We don't want any more vile products of the welfare state!

Quote Originally Posted by midi2304 View Post
    I'm not going to celebrate anyone dying but I certainly won't mourn either. An exceptionally important person in terms of British history even if it was all for the wrong reasons.
    I have watched the news, and heard all the opinions today, and this one seems to sum up some of the crap I seen. Margaret Thatcher, Bless her, will be highly delighted with the various reactions to her demise, and as she sits on the right hand of her God, she knows she will never be forgotten. If we had someone with her guts today, we would not be in the mess we are in with weak willed politicians in all our UK parliaments and parties. I am watching the polititions destroy the UK, I have watched the Unions destroy our industries, one after the other, Priced out of the markets, she fought them, she saw off the argies in the Falklands, and gave the working man the chance to be a homeowner, among many things. She was not always right in my humble opinion, but what she did, she did with belief and strength. Oh I wish for some of the spirit and belief now. This is not a dig at any opinion, it is just another laymans opinion of some of the crap I have witnessed today.
    You can fool some of the people some of the time - but never all of the people all of the time!!

I don't think this is one of those JFK or Lady Diana moments. In reality, many people who, when asked if they could remember where they were when they discovered Margaret Thatcher was dead, may well have replied:-

"Why of course I can, I was standing over her body holding a smoking gun"

I see the hypocrisy wagon is gathering speed already, with Tony Blair describing her as "A towering politician"

The meeja will no doubt try to whip up a frenzy of emotion....

Scorrie - I can't figure out Tony's anagram "a towering politician". Must be offensive surely?

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    I don't think this is one of those JFK or Lady Diana moments.
    I was on the forum, and I read about it in cesare's thread entitled thatcher dies.

I bet not many can tell their grandchildren that they learned the news by reading cesare on caithness.org!

I did my celebrating as a young loon when she died as a politician on November 22, 1990. Today's event was the sad death of a sick old lady.
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 09-Apr-13 at 00:13. Reason: cesare told me!

Default Farewell to a Great Lady

I was sad to learn of the passing of Margaret Hilda. She was a woman of great courage and wisdom, who did her utmost to instill a passionate pride in Briton's for their country, as well as being respected and welcomed throughout the world. RIP MH, after a job well done.

Quote Originally Posted by M Swanson View Post
    I was sad to learn of the passing of Margaret Hilda. She was a woman of great courage and wisdom, who did her utmost to instill a passionate pride in Briton's for their country, as well as being respected and welcomed throughout the world. RIP MH, after a job well done.
    How much were you paid to post this propaganda !

Obviously her funeral should be privatised as the private sector is more profitable. We don't want any more vile products of the welfare state!

Seriously, a state funeral, St Pauls Cathedral, full military honours....she was only a politician, and a divisive one at that, I mean come on !!!

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Seriously, a state funeral, St Pauls Cathedral, full military honours....she was only a politician, and a divisive one at that, I mean come on !!!
    One of a small handful of great military leaders. I'm sure our armed forces would want the opportunity to pay respects.

Sorry M Swanson, got to disagree with you on this one, I for one had no time for the woman.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Sorry I thought that you meant Hilda Ogden from Corrie