Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Margaret Thatcher

Default Margaret Thatcher

Just been reported on BBC News 24 - Margaret Thatcher died this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155
    Last edited by cptdodger; 08-Apr-13 at 12:55.

Default thatcher dies

suppose its end of a era for most of you now eh??

Gosh. This feels like quite a historical moment.

Oooh, do we get a day off?

They have just said that her funeral will have the same status as the Queen Mother's or Diana's. Although at her own request, she will not lie in state. I worked for Tesco's at the time of Diana's funeral, I remember because it was my last day before maternity leave, and I know all the shops were closed until 2pm. As for the Queen Mother's funeral, I was working that day, so I do'nt know what will happen with this one.

I'm not going to celebrate anyone dying but I certainly won't mourn either. An exceptionally important person in terms of British history even if it was all for the wrong reasons.

Argh, the media and internet are going to be unbearable for the next few days.

Obviously her funeral should be privatised as the private sector is more profitable. We don't want any more vile products of the welfare state!

Default Farewell to a Great Lady

I was sad to learn of the passing of Margaret Hilda. She was a woman of great courage and wisdom, who did her utmost to instill a passionate pride in Briton's for their country, as well as being respected and welcomed throughout the world. RIP MH, after a job well done.

Quote Originally Posted by M Swanson View Post
    I was sad to learn of the passing of Margaret Hilda. She was a woman of great courage and wisdom, who did her utmost to instill a passionate pride in Briton's for their country, as well as being respected and welcomed throughout the world. RIP MH, after a job well done.
    How much were you paid to post this propaganda !

Obviously her funeral should be privatised as the private sector is more profitable. We don't want any more vile products of the welfare state!

Life is a compromise, that woman did'nt know the meaning of the word. She wo'nt be missed by me.

I don't think CNN got the memo they're running this picture with her obituary:

Seriously, a state funeral, St Pauls Cathedral, full military honours....she was only a politician, and a divisive one at that, I mean come on !!!

Sorry M Swanson, got to disagree with you on this one, I for one had no time for the woman.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Seriously, a state funeral, St Pauls Cathedral, full military honours....she was only a politician, and a divisive one at that, I mean come on !!!
    One of a small handful of great military leaders. I'm sure our armed forces would want the opportunity to pay respects.

My my, an 87 year old woman dies and the Nation (or a particular part of it) descends into the same choreographed grief that we had to endure after Prince Charles's first wife died.

Just managed to avoid most of the sycophantic, hour-long tripe on the BBC at 1; BBC Scotland had a much more pragmatic, brief and truthful 3 minutes. This woman was poison for Scotland. However we should be grateful that,with her policies, she destroyed any vestige of the Tory party in Scotland.

Her lasting legacy will include the debacle we now have with the bedroom tax as she initiated the selling-off of the local authority housing stock in Scotland, resulting in huge shortages of suitable homes. That and the destruction of mining throughout Great Britain.

Any other legacies worth mentioning?

Sorry I thought that you meant Hilda Ogden from Corrie

A conviction politician who should have been convicted herself lol

Quote Originally Posted by PantsMAN View Post
    My my, an 87 year old woman dies and the Nation (or a particular part of it) descends into the same choreographed grief that we had to endure after Prince Charles's first wife died.

Just managed to avoid most of the sycophantic, hour-long tripe on the BBC at 1; BBC Scotland had a much more pragmatic, brief and truthful 3 minutes. This woman was poison for Scotland. However we should be grateful that,with her policies, she destroyed any vestige of the Tory party in Scotland.

Her lasting legacy will include the debacle we now have with the bedroom tax as she initiated the selling-off of the local authority housing stock in Scotland, resulting in huge shortages of suitable homes. That and the destruction of mining throughout Great Britain.

Any other legacies worth mentioning?
    Lots and lots of Scots people owning their own homes. The end of the cold war. The retention of the Falklands by the Falklanders. The end of tyranny in the trade union movement. Gosh I'll go and write a long list if you like? The birth of the labour party in it's current form, (probably the Lib Dems too.)

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    One of a small handful of great military leaders. I'm sure our armed forces would want the opportunity to pay respects.
    I do not think the 255 who were killed during the Falklands war will be able to or want to pay their respects, thousand of personell went down there with their redundancy notices in their pockets. How many were able to cash them in? She cut the troops, that eventually she used to boost her own standing
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast