I have come across a weird problem twice now and wondered if anyone else had experienced it - if so what their solution was.

When plugging in a USB Flash Drive it is recognised by the Windows XP system but then comes up "F:/, Access Denied". Other USB flash drives do exactly the same, yet work fine on all other XP systems, indicating it's not a problem with the drives themselves.

My guess is it's something to do with drive permissions, or a corruption in the registry. I've uninstalled the respective devices & the related storage volumes from the Device Manager & let Windows re-detect which it does, but still with Access Denied when trying to open them. I've even manually edited the CurrentControlSet in the registry but still the same problem.

When I experienced this the first time I backed up, wiped & reinstalled everything which worked fine, but is a bit extreme just to get certain USB devices to work. However if I have to then I'll do it again - I was just hoping someone may have an idea.