Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: what pet ? sugesstions please

Default what pet ? sugesstions please

Hi, my 2 boys aged 6 and 4 have been asking lately if they can have a pet. I have never owned any animals myself so I'm not sure what kind would be good for our family. We couldn't have a dog as we do not have a garden, or a cat, as I am allergic. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ojibwa View Post
    Hi, my 2 boys aged 6 and 4 have been asking lately if they can have a pet. I have never owned any animals myself so I'm not sure what kind would be good for our family. We couldn't have a dog as we do not have a garden, or a cat, as I am allergic. Does anyone have any suggestions ?
    Is it just cats to which you are allergic? My daughter had a couple of chinchillas.........hand tame and very cute...but the son-in-law turned out to be allergic to them, though he isn't to cats.

No 1 Grandaughter has a hamster..also hand tame..........and a friend has a house rabbit......though she also has a garden to let it out in the good weather.

i'd say a rabbit. and not just because i breed them. they can be really good for kids and those who i've sold to with kids before, have said how wonderful they are.

a snake, or a tortoise, something the boys will be amazed by and takes little effort but gives lots of pleasure.
    WoRdS ShOuLd Be SiMpLe An VoIcEs SoFt !!!

Oh how close our situations appear to be/have been! Our two, also aged 6 & 4, wanted a pet. They've both had nasty experiences with dogs so that was a non-starter, and with cats they weren't much better.

We ended up plumping for a couple of goldfish! Inexpensive to get started with, yet sufficient to see if the kids were going to do their bit with regard to feeding, cleaning, etc.

As it turns out Bobsgirl thinks they're now ready for a puppy (and so is she!) and, while I support her in this, I've told her that I won't be looking after it - if she wants one she has to ensure it's care & feeding. I know this is a bit of a hard line but I really don't want any of the hassle, and at least this way she will think long & hard before she goes ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Oh how close our situations appear to be/have been! Our two, also aged 6 & 4, wanted a pet. They've both had nasty experiences with dogs so that was a non-starter, and with cats they weren't much better.

We ended up plumping for a couple of goldfish! Inexpensive to get started with, yet sufficient to see if the kids were going to do their bit with regard to feeding, cleaning, etc.

As it turns out Bobsgirl thinks they're now ready for a puppy (and so is she!) and, while I support her in this, I've told her that I won't be looking after it - if she wants one she has to ensure it's care & feeding. I know this is a bit of a hard line but I really don't want any of the hassle, and at least this way she will think long & hard before she goes ahead.
    Sounds like excellent advice - I'd never have thought of a goldfish but that seems like a brilliant 'starter' pet!

I would recommend Gerbils as a starter pet, they are so lively and provide hours of entertainment watching them. They are friendly and love being handled.

I would go for gerbils too, we have two of them, like Angela5 says their really friendly, and they don't bite very often either. Our two are really funny sometimes aswell.
    Always remember your unique, just like everyone else

I remember being in primary and being allowed to take the class desert rat home.I dont know if you could borrow a pet and see how the boys get on with them.
    It worked for me as once mum realised I'd take care of the pet I was allowed one home.Progressed onto dogs and have alwas had one.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm leaning towards gerbils or mice.

Hope all goes well if you get a puppy bobinovich. I'm sure the kids and mrs b will take great care of it.