Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wick will soon be a ghost town

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseowl View Post
    I think you are missing the point here. The thread is called "Wick will soon be a ghost town" - what do you think is one of the main causes of that..? ...Literally, yes Tesco is geographically local - but thats not the point. Its not a small local business set up by local people. Its those businesses we need to be supporting the most. Tesco doesn't need that support to suceed.
    Which would you rather see, tesco close die to lack of trade and all the workers are on the dole queue, or a couple of overpriced local firms close due to lack of trade and a couple of folk are on the dole queue?So for a Wick firm to be considered local it has to be a) small and b) set up by a wicker?

You and the two kids need to get some shopping and a few other items but without leaving the confines of Wick and using local stores as defined by wiseowl below.
    You need the following:
    Newspapers
    Rice cakes
    A cooked chicken
    Mince
    Tatties
    Turnip
    Frozen veg
    Oatmeal stuffing
    Nappies
    Sudo cream
    Bedlinen
    Towels
    Wireless router

What shops do you go to to get the line?

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    You and the two kids need to get some shopping and a few other items but without leaving the confines of Wick and using local stores as defined by wiseowl below.
    You need the following:
    Newspapers
    got a choice there depending on which side of the town you live there is local grocer shops in Glamis Road another one in Girnigoe St and two just round from the PPP building
    Rice cakes
    Again all those grocer shops sell both papers as well as groceries so I would hazzard a guess you could ask there for them also.
    A cooked chicken
    Buy a fresh one from the butchers and cook it yourself you know what you get then
    Mince
    butchers you have a choice
    Tatties
    butchers or grocers you have a choice
    Turnip
    butchers or any of the afore mentioned grocer shops either end of the town
    Frozen veg
    from any of the local grocers or the butchers but I would guess that the more likely would be the grocers.
    Oatmeal stuffing
    butchers
    Nappies
    chemists theres a choice of more than one also the grocer shops
    Sudo cream
    Same choice as nappies
    Bedlinen
    trickier but I would bet you anything Sam would have some for you if not I garuantee you tomorrow if he thought there was a pound to be had he would get them for you
    Towels
    Again Sam and believe it or not one of the grocer shops
    Wireless router
    theres a lovely helpful computer shop beside the backer

What shops do you go to to get the line?
    After all your shopping you could pop into the backer or any of the local pubs there are and toast your success.
    Also think of the healthy excercise by walking around the lovely town doing your shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice in Blunderland View Post
    Also think of the healthy excercise by walking around the lovely town doing your shopping.
    I was refering to Wick not Thurso

I didnt want a fesh chicken, I want a nice hot cooked chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    I was refering to Wick not Thurso

I didnt want a fesh chicken, I want a nice hot cooked chicken.

I was also referring to Wick and NOT Thurso as the title of the thread already suggests . As for the cooked chicken Im sure the Butchers will stick it in the oven for you after all they do sell cooked pies. As with everything its about service provision if the customer requests then its in the shops best interests to try to provide.
    Last edited by Alice in Blunderland; 02-Apr-13 at 12:05.

You also have to look at cost though. How much do all these things cost at Tesco or at a local shop? That might be a reason why tesco is as popular

Indeed, I was getting to that.
    Also how much of the town do you need to trapse over to get your stuff, lugging all the stuff bought elsewhere with you.
    Perhaps some nice Wicker could carry on with the reseach and price it all up in the local shops and then at the local Tesco, good idea to time yourself also.

An interesting thread while looking for something else.
    Visit our shop at 20 Bridge street, Wick
    Tel/fax 01955 604655
    'like' us on Facebook - BironsIronmongersWick

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234