Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To neuter or not?

Had mine done in Wick vets, price depends on the weight of the dog, it cost me £79 and he weighs 16.6 kg.

To have a bitch snipped is about £140, I think that's if she weighs between 15kg and 25kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire2803 View Post
    I need to get our border collie done. I've been putting it off because he's so timid (he came from Balmore) He's fine at home, but when I take him somewhere strange he goes straight back to being the nervous wreck that he was when we first brought him home. Can anyone recommend a vet? and how much does it cost to have a dog neutered these days?
    I would recommend giving him the homeopathic remedy Aconite along with some Rescue Remedy for his 'nerves' and Arnica to help reduce any bruising.

It would also be worth taking him along to the Vet just for a couple of visits to let him get used to being there so that the first time he is taken he isn't just left as this could really put him off going to the Vets in the future.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire2803 View Post
    I need to get our border collie done. I've been putting it off because he's so timid (he came from Balmore) He's fine at home, but when I take him somewhere strange he goes straight back to being the nervous wreck that he was when we first brought him home. Can anyone recommend a vet? and how much does it cost to have a dog neutered these days?
    Emma, why does your dog need doing? Has it been recommended by a vet? I have kept dogs all my life, pets and working, I can't understand this latest trend to neuter dogs without a medical reason and I'm surprised the local vets are carrying out these ops, must be a right good earner.lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gary.b View Post
    Emma, why does your dog need doing? Has it been recommended by a vet? I have kept dogs all my life, pets and working, I can't understand this latest trend to neuter dogs without a medical reason and I'm surprised the local vets are carrying out these ops, must be a right good earner.lol.
    well said gary, propeganda and spin, £££££,s in the vets pockets and for what, a whole lot of maybes or ifs nothing concrete.

I got my dog from Balmore too and was advised to neuter him - it never cost me anything as it was included in the fee I paid for my dog when I got him. I can see why centres like the SSPCA would do this - they see numerous unwanted pets come in on a daily basis and if neutering them is the only way they can see to limit any more, then it should be done. Not everyone is responsible - otherwise there would be no need for SSPCA to be in existance. Unwanted pets have to be bred somewhere. As far as I am aware, all cats are also recommended to be neutered.

If my dog liked cats I would have one and it would be neutered and I fully intend to get a cat or 2 once his day is past - I will be going back to balmore to get them as last time I was there, they had at least 20 kittens that were 'unwanted'. Had the cats been neutered, this would not be the case.

I did have a GSD who had prostate problems when he was 10 years old and had to be castrated, but I still wouldn't had put him through an operation when he was young "just in case".
    To me thats just messing with nature, where does it stop?

Quote Originally Posted by henry20 View Post
    I got my dog from Balmore too and was advised to neuter him - it never cost me anything as it was included in the fee I paid for my dog when I got him. I can see why centres like the SSPCA would do this - they see numerous unwanted pets come in on a daily basis and if neutering them is the only way they can see to limit any more, then it should be done. Not everyone is responsible - otherwise there would be no need for SSPCA to be in existance. Unwanted pets have to be bred somewhere. As far as I am aware, all cats are also recommended to be neutered.

If my dog liked cats I would have one and it would be neutered and I fully intend to get a cat or 2 once his day is past - I will be going back to balmore to get them as last time I was there, they had at least 20 kittens that were 'unwanted'. Had the cats been neutered, this would not be the case.
    With respect Henry cats are a different issue as they roam freely.
    If rescue centres only rehome their dogs to people that they view to be responsible then why is there a need to neuter the dogs?

I'm a responsible dog owner, but it didn't stop someone opening my garden gate so that he could get out. I know it wasn't me that left it open as it was a gate that was never used - when I renewed my fence, I did away with the gate.

However, I do accept your point and I would hope that everyone that rehomed any animal would be responsible, but if people had been responsible in the first place, no pets would need rehomed. I do not know the plus sides or negative sides to neutering and have a feeling that it was a requirement rather than an option when I got my dog. I was also led to believe (not by SSPCA) that neutering calmed dogs down, but I can assure you, neutering my dog had no affect whatsoever. I must say though, that if I had a bitch, I doubt I'd get her neutered as I know its a more complicated process. None of my family have their dogs neutered - between them they have 4 and none have had any problems - male or female.

Thumbs up

Nice one Henry, glad you got the fence sorted.

I did have a GSD who had prostate problems when he was 10 years old and had to be castrated, but I still wouldn't had put him through an operation when he was young "just in case".
    To me thats just messing with nature, where does it stop?
    It's keeping dogs as pets where the messing with nature starts, if we didn't do that there would be no need to neuter.

Dogs have feelings too, they have instincts, they have urges and they get fustrated just the same as humans do. Nature has bred into every dog capable of breeding the urge to breed, to pass on their genes to the next generation, that is what life is all about.

If you don't intend to let a dog get rid of its pent up fustrations the natural way then it is only kind to have them removed surgically.

Fred, as I said I've been around dogs all my life, I've never known an adult dog to get sexually fustrated except obviously when he's near a bitch that's in season and thats easily sorted by removing one of the dogs.
    If we're going humanise dogs by saying they have feelings, how undignified would it be for him to walk around with no balls.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    It's keeping dogs as pets where the messing with nature starts, if we didn't do that there would be no need to neuter.

Dogs have feelings too, they have instincts, they have urges and they get fustrated just the same as humans do. Nature has bred into every dog capable of breeding the urge to breed, to pass on their genes to the next generation, that is what life is all about.

If you don't intend to let a dog get rid of its pent up fustrations the natural way then it is only kind to have them removed surgically.
    Fred as you say, keeping dogs as pets is messing with nature?, then thousands of years ago when man first domesticated dogs, were there people like you running around cutting there bits of? No!. So the wee experiment of messing with nature has stood the test of time, without the vets help??

Fred, as I said I've been around dogs all my life, I've never known an adult dog to get sexually fustrated except obviously when he's near a bitch that's in season and thats easily sorted by removing one of the dogs.
    If we're going humanise dogs by saying they have feelings, how undignified would it be for him to walk around with no balls.
    It isn't humanising a dog to say he has feelings, all living things have feelings or they wouldn't be alive.

You've been around dogs all your life and never seen two male dogs fight?

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    Fred as you say, keeping dogs as pets is messing with nature?, then thousands of years ago when man first domesticated dogs, were there people like you running around cutting there bits of? No!. So the wee experiment of messing with nature has stood the test of time, without the vets help??
    As long as man has been domesticating animals he has been castrating them. Dogs, cattle, horses, sheep, humans, especially humans. It's nothing new.

It isn't humanising a dog to say he has feelings, all living things have feelings or they wouldn't be alive.

And what has that got to do with neutering, so castrated dogs don't fight??

Two bitches will fight a lot more than two dogs will.

As long as man has been domesticating animals he has been castrating them. Dogs, cattle, horses, sheep, humans, especially humans. It's nothing new.
    So you are pro docking fred? do you agree with docking dogs tails?

that question goes out to all the others who are pro neutoring?

there was a tail docking thread a few months ago, it would be interesting to have a look back and see peoples opinions on it?

And what has that got to do with neutering, so castrated dogs don't fight??
    Not nearly as much as those which haven't been castrated, they don't have a load of testosterone floating around in their bloodstreams.

So you are pro docking fred? do you agree with docking dogs tails?
    No, I'm against docking dogs tails.

Docking a dogs tail is purely cosmetic whereas there are several sound reasons for neutering.

Two bitches will fight a lot more than two dogs will.
    Which two?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast