Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To neuter or not?

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    No, I'm against docking dogs tails.

Docking a dogs tail is purely cosmetic whereas there are several sound reasons for neutering.
    no it is not if the dog is a working breed it has a very important need to be done, you see this is where you have it all wrong, you would cut a dogs testicalls off at the age of 8-10 months with out a second thought yet find it unacceptable to shorten its tail when it is still a few days old? I know which one id prefer, i just think the trauma a dog will go through unimaginable.

both reasons are for there owners benifits, yet you find one ok but not the other, smacks of double standards to me, show me where it states catagorically that neutering is scientifically proven to be benificial?

Which two?
    any two? its is common knowledge that two bitches are more dificult to keep than two dogs.

Isn’t it funny how every thread that ‘Fred’ becomes involved in very quickly becomes confrontational? He really is the fountain of all knowledge. From world politics to docking dogs tails there is nothing that our ‘Fred’ does not know about.
    To get back to Sapphire 2803. My credentials, been involved with dogs for nearly fifty years. That doesn’t mean by any stretch of the imagination that I know everything, ‘cos I don’t. However, having read your thread I honestly cannot see any medical reason to have you dog castrated. It certainly won’t make any difference to his nervous disposition. I would earnestly suggest that you seek some help from a homeopathic practitioner. I have used these remedies on my dogs with some great results. Please think twice before putting your dog through an unnecessary procedure.

P.S. If you read this Fred, you don’t agree with tail docking, what about a working Springer or Cocker? What about dew claws, should they be left on a working dog?

Gary.b and Buggyracer you are entitled to your opinions re neutering but, whether you mean to or not, you are coming across as being completely right in this matter and the 'rest of us' who are pro neutering as being completely wrong!

Those of us who neuter our dogs are doing so as we feel that it is the best thing to do and if you speak to any vet I am sure they will tell you that many illnesses can be avoided by doing so.
    Having seen how ill one of my dogs was after needing an emergency castration (we thought were going to lose him) I would much rather neuter a young healthy dog who will recover quickly than risk that my dog may or may not develop one of these diseases. One of my neighbours dogs had to be put to sleep due to developing a mammary tumour and this would not have happened had she been spayed.
    Many people who have genetic diseases are choosing to remove parts of their body as they are at risk of developing certain diseases so that's all we as responsible pet owners are doing.

It does also lessen the chance of dogs running off in search of bitches.
    Gary.b you said this can be avoided by 'removing one of the dogs'. How can you do that if it belongs to a neighbour?!!!!
    As far as them feeling undignified 'walking around with no balls' I think you are transferring how you would feel onto the dog!!!!

I don't think we are going to agree on this subject and, at the end of the day, pet owners must make the decision that they feel is right and not be pressurised into doing something they are not happy with.

We all care for our dogs and, at the end of they day, that is what matters.

Liz, I agree totally when it comes to spaying a bitch if you do not intend to breed from her. The percentages of unsprayed maiden bitches developing cancer is very high. As for neutering a dog I’m not so sure. There is a lot of myth surrounding the subject, the classic is the dog was castrated to ‘quieten him down.’ I’ve got the scars to dispel that old chestnut.
    As you quite rightly say we all love our dogs and wouldn’t hurt them for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    any two? its is common knowledge that two bitches are more dificult to keep than two dogs.
    Sorry buggyracer I have to disagree with you there. From my experience it is the other way about
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do

Not nearly as much as those which haven't been castrated, they don't have a load of testosterone floating around in their bloodstreams.
    lol, rubbish Fred, thanks for the evenings entertainment, I'll ride off back into the sunset, where I belong......................
    Last edited by gary.b; 13-Jan-07 at 09:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Gary.b you said this can be avoided by 'removing one of the dogs'. How can you do that if it belongs to a neighbour?!!!!
    In my experience you'd need a crowbar.

In my experience you'd need a crowbar.
    again fred keep your dogs under control if they can get out to your neighbours dogs, what else of your neighbours can they get out to cats, rabbits or kids? doesent bare thinking of!

Quote Originally Posted by carasmam View Post
    Sorry buggyracer I have to disagree with you there. From my experience it is the other way about
    you will always have exceptions to the rule, but generally two bitches are worse to live together, at the end of the day same sex dogs should never be left alone male or female, always better to go with opposite sexs if you are kenneling them together. (i say kenneling loosely, anywhere they stay together)

Gary.b and Buggyracer you are entitled to your opinions re neutering but, whether you mean to or not, you are coming across as being completely right in this matter and the 'rest of us' who are pro neutering as being completely wrong!

Those of us who neuter our dogs are doing so as we feel that it is the best thing to do and if you speak to any vet I am sure they will tell you that many illnesses can be avoided by doing so.
    Having seen how ill one of my dogs was after needing an emergency castration (we thought were going to lose him) I would much rather neuter a young healthy dog who will recover quickly than risk that my dog may or may not develop one of these diseases. One of my neighbours dogs had to be put to sleep due to developing a mammary tumour and this would not have happened had she been spayed.
    Many people who have genetic diseases are choosing to remove parts of their body as they are at risk of developing certain diseases so that's all we as responsible pet owners are doing.

It does also lessen the chance of dogs running off in search of bitches.
    As far as them feeling undignified 'walking around with no balls' I think you are transferring how you would feel onto the dog!!!!

I don't think we are going to agree on this subject and, at the end of the day, pet owners must make the decision that they feel is right and not be pressurised into doing something they are not happy with.

We all care for our dogs and, at the end of they day, that is what matters.
    Sorry liz i wont appologise for something i feel strongly about, and nobody is questioning your animal husbandry, i guess if we all thought the same we wouldnt have forums like this

no it is not if the dog is a working breed it has a very important need to be done, you see this is where you have it all wrong, you would cut a dogs testicalls off at the age of 8-10 months with out a second thought yet find it unacceptable to shorten its tail when it is still a few days old? I know which one id prefer, i just think the trauma a dog will go through unimaginable.

both reasons are for there owners benifits, yet you find one ok but not the other, smacks of double standards to me, show me where it states catagorically that neutering is scientifically proven to be benificial?
    God gave dogs tails for a lot of reasons, for balance, for communication, they are very useful parts of a dog's anatomy.

God gave dogs reproductive organs for one reason and one reason only and if they're never going to need them they're better off without them.

Don't take my word for it, ask any vet.

Quote Originally Posted by North Rhins View Post
    Isn’t it funny how every thread that ‘Fred’ becomes involved in very quickly becomes confrontational? He really is the fountain of all knowledge. From world politics to docking dogs tails there is nothing that our ‘Fred’ does not know about.
    It's just that I deal in facts and common sense not myth and wishfull thinking.

As what I'm talking about.

again fred keep your dogs under control if they can get out to your neighbours dogs, what else of your neighbours can they get out to cats, rabbits or kids? doesent bare thinking of!
    My dogs are under control.

There are an awful lot of dogs which arn't though and remember, the only people who never make mistakes are people who never do anything and it only takes one mistake, one slip, one second when your attention is on something else when it should have been on your dog.

Better safe than sorry I say.

Thumbs up Friends? lol

Sorry liz i wont appologise for something i feel strongly about, and nobody is questioning your animal husbandry, i guess if we all thought the same we wouldnt have forums like this
    Nor would I expect you to apologise! I totally respect your decision not to neuter as I know you, and Buggyracer, care for your dogs very much.
    The problem is when people don't neuter and their dogs wander so are 'spreading their love' around!

If we all thought the same it would be very peaceful but very dull world.

At least this has been quite a civilsed debate hasn't it? Well so far!

The problem is when people don't neuter and their dogs wander so are 'spreading their love' around!

Smile

Love it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gary.b View Post
    Emma, why does your dog need doing? Has it been recommended by a vet? I have kept dogs all my life, pets and working, I can't understand this latest trend to neuter dogs without a medical reason and I'm surprised the local vets are carrying out these ops, must be a right good earner.lol.
    We also have a GSD bitch. First sign of her going into season and we have to separate them. He ends up sitting outside her kennel whining.
    He's a bit of a wanderer as well, given half a chance and I'm hoping that having him neutered might stop him being so determined to get out.
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Before you have it done ask your vet about a tardac (not sure if thats the correct spelling) injection which simulates castration and last for about 4-6 weeks just to see if neutering will make any difference to his behaviour, it could save you some money.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123