Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To neuter or not?

Default To neuter or not?

Our dog's due for the snip tomorrow.

Don't know why but I'm worried sick about it, had our other two dogs done when they were younger without any problems.

I've already been on the phone to the vet today for reassurance and I know it's much better for the dog to be done as we're not going to breed from him.

Help! Please tell me I'm doing the right thing. Hubbie doesn't want him done and I don't think it's a man thing because we've had the others done, he says it makes them dopey but I don't think that's true.

Are there any good reasons for not going through with it?

If he's got no medical problems why do it? I'm sorry I agree with your hubbie. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We had our bitch and our dog both snipped and they are both very healthy and it has not affected them in anyway apart from the obvious lol.

why get it done?, there is no proof that it helps the dog in any way and if hes of a sound enough nature whats the point? i would never consider getting any of my male dogs done.

its ok saying you dont want to breed from him but what will he gain from getting it done?
    Last edited by buggyracer; 08-Jan-07 at 18:22.

Neepnipper as I have posted before I am very pro neutering since one of my dogs needed an emergency castration when he was older due to prostatitis which would never have happened had he been neutered.

I know Buggyracer does not agree with neutering as he said there is no evidence that it is beneficial but I did a lot of research before getting my next dog neutered and the overall concensus was that it was better for them as it prevents prostate problems in males and ovarian problems (mostly mammary tumours) in females.
    Re it making them 'dopey' this one of the many myths which is put about by those are are against neutering.
    The only 'downside' I have noticed is a slight tendency to weight gain but this is easily dealt with.

Is there any reason why you are worried about this dog? Mind you it is perfectly reasonable to be worried about any op.

This will be one of those issues which not everyone will agree with but you just do what you feel is best for the health of your dog.
    I cannot think it can be good for a dog's mental health to have all those hormones surging around it's body with no outlet!!!! Well maybe apart from someone's leg!
    If you have the homeopathic remedy Arnica that is really good to give before and after surgery as it helps with bruising and also Aconite is really good for calming.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Default to snip or not

Hi
    I have 2 male dogs one done and one not. when i got my first male i never really thought about it and seeing how he is now twelve i wouldna think about doing it but the young one i got done, there are so pros and cons for both but i feel that even if you have no intention of breeding then why keep them there!! It can save from serious health problems in later life. I know of several dogs who have had to have emergency ops due to problems that a neutered dog would not have so, this stops this from occuring. Its easy to give your opinion on this but i do understand how you will be worrying about the op but a little extra tlc when he gets home and he will be as right as rain in no time

none of our dogs have ever been neuterd and none have had health problems, and none try to get loving with with any legs, and if they did a stern no would be enough to stop them from doing it again.

at the end of the day neenipper its YOUR dog and YOU alone feed and look after it so its your decision and you shouldnt feel pressured or swayed as to what you do or dont do.

good luck whatever you decide.

Thank you for your comments and your pm Liz.

He is now home from the vets and seems fine, sleeping it off.

Now all I have to do is keep him on a lead for the next ten days until the stitches come out! He just loves running free, hubbie made our dogs what we call the 'play pen', about half an acre all fenced in with balls of all descriptions, frisbees, tugs and even a tunnel! He's going to miss playing in there. Anyway time flies so he'll soon be racing around as usual!

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    none of our dogs have ever been neuterd and none have had health problems, and none try to get loving with with any legs, and if they did a stern no would be enough to stop them from doing it again.
    How old are they?

My bitch was 13 when she had to have an op for pyometra, because she had never been neutered and was extremely ill.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by neepnipper View Post
    all fenced in with balls of all descriptions,
    great pun lol!!!
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

its ok saying you dont want to breed from him but what will he gain from getting it done?
    Well sometimes a young dog's fancy turns to thoughts of other things and if he takes a fancy to that pretty little dog on the other side of the hill he aint gonna give a damn if you want him to breed or not he'll be off and chances are he'll be crawling back three days later on his eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    How old are they?

My bitch was 13 when she had to have an op for pyometra, because she had never been neutered and was extremely ill.

oldest now 12, but having owned dogs who are no longer with us, speaking in past tense also.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19 View Post
    great pun lol!!!
    The 'balls' pun was not intentional!!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Well sometimes a young dog's fancy turns to thoughts of other things and if he takes a fancy to that pretty little dog on the other side of the hill he aint gonna give a damn if you want him to breed or not he'll be off and chances are he'll be crawling back three days later on his eyebrows.
    then you are a irresponsible owner, you shouldnt let any dog roam free?

To me its different why i keep my dogs intact, i work my dogs both gun dogs and terriers, and i also plan to show some in the future, the only reason i would breed from a dog was if it had something to offer the breed be it firstly working abillity or secondlly asthetically (sp) basically if it didnt work well no matter how good it looked i wouldnt breed from it, and i think it is nice to have a line or strain of dogs you can trace back, but only when you have bred from them for the right reasons, firstly for yourself or freinds for yours/there uses providing they are worth breeding from, not as a money maker or just for the sake of it, this is why many breeds are ruined.

edited to add, glad the dog came through it ok, im sure he will be back to his normal self in no time.
    Last edited by buggyracer; 09-Jan-07 at 23:24.

then you are a irresponsible owner, you shouldnt let any dog roam free?
    Irresponsible?

My dogs are neutered.

Irresponsible?

My dogs are neutered.
    so that means it ok for them to roam free?

so that means it ok for them to roam free?
    That means they're not so likely to want to, or nearly so determined.

That means they're not so likely to want to, or nearly so determined.
    ok fred lol

Quote Originally Posted by neepnipper View Post
    Thank you for your comments and your pm Liz.

He is now home from the vets and seems fine, sleeping it off.

Now all I have to do is keep him on a lead for the next ten days until the stitches come out! He just loves running free, hubbie made our dogs what we call the 'play pen', about half an acre all fenced in with balls of all descriptions, frisbees, tugs and even a tunnel! He's going to miss playing in there. Anyway time flies so he'll soon be racing around as usual!
    Glad he is okay.

Question

I need to get our border collie done. I've been putting it off because he's so timid (he came from Balmore) He's fine at home, but when I take him somewhere strange he goes straight back to being the nervous wreck that he was when we first brought him home. Can anyone recommend a vet? and how much does it cost to have a dog neutered these days?
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast