Testing...the best way to check for the hidden signs

NINE out of ten people survive bowel cancer if it is detected early
Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Ross County are urging their supporters to do the bowel screening test in a bid to detect the disease early.
Needless to say, it is not confined to their fans or those of any supporters nationally.
Both clubs are helping to raise awareness of bowel cancer as part of the Scottish Government’s Detect Cancer Early campaign by encouraging fans between the ages of 50 and 74 in Highland to take the test.
Although almost 4,000 people are diagnosed with bowel cancer every year in Scotland, just over half (54.5 per cent) of Scots who are eligible to participate in the Scottish Bowel Screening Programme actually do the test.
Nine out of ten people survive bowel cancer if it’s detected early and the best way to check for the hidden signs of bowel cancer is through screening. Currently, take-up of bowel screening within the Highland Council area is 60.5 per cent, so more people need to understand the benefits of participation in the programme as it could save your life.
The new campaign includes a TV advert featuring the voice of Still Game star Ford Kiernan to highlight that bowel cancer is the third most common strain of the disease in Scotland. The campaign carries the message ‘Bowel Cancer. Don’t Take A Chance. Take The Test’ to highlight the fact that bowel cancer is a ‘hidden’ cancer, because the early signs are often not visible.
Derek Adams, Manager of Ross County Football Club, said: “It’s shocking to hear that bowel cancer is the third most common cancer in Scotland. However, if it’s found at an early stage, the disease is treatable - nine out of ten people survive if it’s caught early. This is a simple test which could save your life. I would urge our supporters to take the bowel screening test as soon as they receive it.”
Terry Butcher, Manager of Inverness Caledonian Thistle Football Club, said: “We need to break down some of the taboos around bowel cancer. We know it can be embarrassing to talk about but we want to urge our supporters and local people who are over 50 to take the bowel screening test when they get it through the post as it could save your life.”
Supporters attending the Highland Derby at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium on Saturday 16th March will also be reminded of the importance of taking the test as members of NHS Highland’s Health Promotion Team will be in attendance and available to talk to both sets of supporters as part of the Take the Test Roadshow.
The Take the Test Roadshow is visiting Highland as part of the Detect Cancer Early Scotland-wide, 34-stop tour to encourage people between the ages of 50 and 74 to participate in the Scottish Bowel Screening programme.
The tour will offer help and advice to people in Highland on how to take the test and staff will be available to answer any questions around the disease. An interactive presentation will be on site to allow local people to view the new advert and to help illustrate the bowel cancer screening test. Roadshow staff will also give away toilet shaped air fresheners and mini toilet tissue packs to encourage local people to pass on the message to their friends and relatives.
Dr Rob Henderson, Consultant in Public Health Medicine for NHS Highland, said: “In its early stages, bowel cancer may not cause any symptoms. The bowel screening test aims to pick up very small amounts of blood in bowel motions – amounts so small that they’re not visible to the naked eye – as this can be associated with bowel cancer. Blood may be detected in bowel motions without people having any symptoms.
“Bowel screening increases the proportion of people diagnosed with early bowel cancer when treatment is most effective. I would urge all local people between 50 to 74 years old to find out more about the benefits of taking the bowel screening test.
“I welcome the Detect Cancer Early Roadshow which will help to raise awareness of this important public health issue amongst local people.”
As well as the Highland Derby on the 16th March, the roadshow will also be visiting the Eastgate Centre in Inverness on the 14th March.
While the Screening Programme remains the best way to detect bowel cancer you should never ignore changes to your health. Local people are advised to make an appointment with their GP if they spot any unusual or persistent changes to their bowel movements, even in between screenings.
For information on the screening programme, contact the Scottish Bowel Screening Helpline on 0800 0121 833 or visit www.bowelscreeningtest.org
Noel Donaldson writes-“Early diagnosis gives the medical people one of the most crucial elements in the fight against the disease...time. The test is imperative because, as it is stated, the early signs are not always visible. I contracted a minor tumour on my bladder, not so many years back and because I had been keeping in close contact with the medical people, it was picked up early and dealt with. Subsequent checks have, so far produced “all clear”. Taking the bladder test, gives you peace of mind as well as giving the medics a head start should results proved positive. The 60 per cent take up on the bowel cancer test is worryingly low. Hopefully, the current campaign can push that figure up. I have taken the test an been given the all clear. Why don't you? There can be no greater incentive than the fact that your life may be on the line."