Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mud on roads

Quote Originally Posted by billmoseley View Post
    give the poor farmers a break will you this is the first time in months they have able to get on their fields so they will be working flat out to plant crops. cleaning up the road will be the last thing on their minds. It must have been wet since October as today i have seen 2 combine harvesters cutting oats not something you expect to see in February
    The farmers SHOULD have to clean the roads after themselves. After all, if a car driver is caught throwing rubbish from a car they receive a fine. It's no different to a farmer leaving a trail of mud behind them. As a matter of fact it is far more dangerous than a plastic bottle on the grass verge. I am not condoning rubbish being thrown from a car, but why should farmers get away with it. One day there will be a tragic accident then who would be to blame? Perhaps the council should clean the road and send the farmer the bill.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Perhaps the council should clean the road verges and nearby fields from all the rubbish that drivers (and passengers) throw out and add it to your council or road tax! How many car drivers are actually caught and fined - certainly none on the road passing our farm.

I'm sure council workers do clean up after the fly tippers about.. If they do get caught then they will get fined which is fair enough.. Won't cost much to get a road sweeper to clean up the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    <snip> One day there will be a tragic accident then who would be to blame?<snip >.
    I would respectfully suggest that the goat not paying attention to current road conditions would be to blame. Unless we'd already reached the Nanny State where goats were absolved of all responsibility while driving and not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    I would respectfully suggest that the goat not paying attention to current road conditions would be to blame. Unless we'd already reached the Nanny State where goats were absolved of all responsibility while driving and not paying attention.
    Ah right - so it's perfectly acceptable to scatter any kind of substance on roads and it's the driver who bears responsibility for having the misfortune to drive on it? Some strange thinking going on there... I'm not saying drivers shouldn't adjust their behaviour to the conditions but sometimes you get no warning (like after a blind corner) and on single track roads sometimes you have to brake suddenly when some tool decides they're too important to stop at a passing place.

perhaps the council should clean the muck left by the farmer.????

the ordinary motorist pay,s heavy duty on fuel and (road tax for the upkeep of roads )..while farm vehicles pay almost no road tax ..can run on cheap red desiel ...if the farm operators paid the full price that the ordinary motorist pays.
    im sure all the farmer s would willingly pay full fuel duty .... and full road tax to offset the council clean up that they the farmers incur on the road s .
    im sure all the farmers on here would agree to that........ lol i think not. ...will never happen in a million years.

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    perhaps the council should clean the muck left by the farmer.????

the ordinary motorist pay,s heavy duty on fuel and (road tax for the upkeep of roads )..while farm vehicles pay almost no road tax ..can run on cheap red desiel ...if the farm operators paid the full price that the ordinary motorist pays.
    im sure all the farmer s would willingly pay full fuel duty .... and full road tax to offset the council clean up that they the farmers incur on the road s .
    im sure all the farmers on here would agree to that........ lol i think not. ...will never happen in a million years.
    The council have cleaned up after the farmer...Passed granton mains bower at 11.30 and they were there sweeping the road by hand

Quote Originally Posted by little miss breezy breeks View Post
    The council have cleaned up after the farmer...Passed granton mains bower at 11.30 and they were there sweeping the road by hand
    WELL SPOTTED . little miss breezy breek,s .

im sure the owner of Granton Mains contributed toward the expense of that clean up . hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by little miss breezy breeks View Post
    Does Council funding not stretch to brooms these days?

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    Does Council funding not stretch to brooms these days?
    Do they fund the shovel that you use to fling your crap around this forum most day's?

The farmers SHOULD have to clean the roads after themselves. After all, if a car driver is caught throwing rubbish from a car they receive a fine. It's no different to a farmer leaving a trail of mud behind them. As a matter of fact it is far more dangerous than a plastic bottle on the grass verge. I am not condoning rubbish being thrown from a car, but why should farmers get away with it. One day there will be a tragic accident then who would be to blame? Perhaps the council should clean the road and send the farmer the bill.
    cans , plastic bottles, rubbish... thats a joke . i was entering a taxi one time, and the driver tossed a fag end outta the window as we entered the cab. a passing police car pulled up and the cop gave the driver a stern warning for littering the road, in fact he was fixing on charging him, but let him off with a warning .
    but it seem s it s ok for farmer Giles to leave a ton of sh>t on the road from the field to the farm.

come on now , it s not nice, its not safe and it s not within the law.
    Last edited by jacko; 02-Mar-13 at 15:14.

A friend was fined £50 on the spot for dropping a fag end outside Central Station in Glasgow.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    A friend was fined £50 on the spot for dropping a fag end outside Central Station in Glasgow.

Keep up the good work!
    there you go then. different stroke s for different folk,s. what crazy mixed up world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballymore View Post
    Perhaps the council should clean the road verges and nearby fields from all the rubbish that drivers (and passengers) throw out and add it to your council or road tax! How many car drivers are actually caught and fined - certainly none on the road passing our farm.
    dont know about the field s ??, but i have seen council worker s cleaning the verges n the ditches .............and if the offender s are caught ejecting stuff from their car s they will be fined......but never heard of a farmer being fined for leaving a road in a mess. and they cant be to hard to trace???????????
    Last edited by jacko; 02-Mar-13 at 15:27.

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    ......but never heard of a farmer being fined for leaving a road in a mess. and they cant be to hard to trace???????????
    Just follow the trail of mud.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Just follow the trail of mud.

yeah, right to their front door ........

Old Macdonald had a farm
    But Mud was on his road
    Now old Macdonald had a fight,
    So Muck he did off-load.

"A've got me sheep, a've got me coos,
    Which all need til' be fed,
    If ma tractor causes bother
    then in ma footsteps tread. . .

Am up at dawn, cow's in calf
    And all ma beasts to see
    If YOU would lek a ten hour day
    Then please just follow me

Quick breakfast; oh, at half past 5
    And a flannel 'til ma face
    Wur collie dowg is very keen
    He makes sure I keep the pace !

Hid's a struggle in e' winter
    But spring will bring the sun?
    When days are so much longer
    And the snow is almost done

My beasts; my crops, they made me
    Into a farmer's son . . .
    and when the clock strikes midnight,
    then my day is done. "
    I'm the kind of woman whose feet hit the floor each morning, and the Devil says........... " Oh, Blast She's Up !! "

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
    Old Macdonald had a farm
    But Mud was on his road
    Now old Macdonald had a fight,
    So Muck he did off-load.

"A've got me sheep, a've got me coos,
    Which all need til' be fed,
    If ma tractor causes bother
    then in ma footsteps tread. . .

Am up at dawn, cow's in calf
    And all ma beasts to see
    If YOU would lek a ten hour day
    Then please just follow me

Quick breakfast; oh, at half past 5
    And a flannel 'til ma face
    Wur collie dowg is very keen
    He makes sure I keep the pace !

Hid's a struggle in e' winter
    But spring will bring the sun?
    When days are so much longer
    And the snow is almost done

My beasts; my crops, they made me
    Into a farmer's son . . .
    and when the clock strikes midnight,
    then my day is done. "

, and they say a farmers work is never done.

in which case , he aught,a get up earlier.

having been a farmer for many years i despair had what i have been reading in this thread. Farmers don't like making a mess and in time they do go back and clean up but all you who live up here know the weather can be pretty unpredictable. Fields have to be prepared and sown while there is a window in the weather. No crops = less food = higher prices.
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Ah weel, seein as e balance o opeenion is we shouldna be gutterin up e road wi wur muckin aboot grouwin crops an reeran sheep an biece then a think we should turn e ould county intae a fun park an joost rely on gettin wur maet fae at honest honorable upstanding companies and countries that produce all at deleecious burgers, yum yum

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast