Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: William Mackay/McKay of Thurso

Default William Mackay/McKay of Thurso

Hi
    I am new to this site so thanks for allowing me to participate.

I am researching my Sutherland / Caithness Mackays who migrated here to Pigeon Bay, Banks Peninsula,NZ.I am trying to find any info on a William McKay/Mackay born Thurso in 1826 and died in Akaroa, Banks Peninsula, Canterbury, NZ in 1921. He immigrated on the Merope ship in 1871. He migrated (possibly with wife Isabella) to help his brother Donald run his farm "Melness".

Could anybody tell me of who his family were and any details about him e.g. which cemetery he is buried. He joined the navy in 1852 on HMS Duncan and was a proficient Gaelic interpreter in NZ. Think his son James b. 1876 is my line. I would be very grateful for any info.

regards - Hamish Mackay (NZ)

Morning Hamish

I would suggest that you locate the death certificate of William MacKay, file no 1921/4712 from http://www.dia.govt.nz in the family history section. You can purchase on line. This will give you lots of information as to the names of his parents,when he was married and to whom, how long he had been in NZ, where he was buried etc. Once you have the names of his parents, then we can search for family info.

Rosemary

Brisbane

There may be a clue as to his origins in the name of the farm - "Melness" which is a village in North Sutherland.
    spittalhill

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/schol...d5-d12-d2.html

There is an article here about a George Mackay farming at Pigeon Bay whose parents came from Scotland. Is this your family ?

Rosemary

Good advice - thanks Rosemary.

Regards - Hamish

Yes it is. Have seen that - much appreciated. Hamish