Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Frereg for Caithness

Default Frereg for Caithness

Are there gaps in the birth registers for the parish of Latheron? It seems to me that it is difficult to find births which occurred between 1810 and 1820 and I was wondering if for some reason they went unrecorded.
    Barb

Quote Originally Posted by scottishrootsbarb View Post
    Are there gaps in the birth registers for the parish of Latheron? It seems to me that it is difficult to find births which occurred between 1810 and 1820 and I was wondering if for some reason they went unrecorded.
    Barb
    Hello Barb

I have just checked and the births between 1810 and 1820 are on the web site. I have just done a test search and have had no problem. It may be that the births you are searching for weren't recorded - there was no obligation on the part of parents to record births until 1854. Try again and please let me know how you get on

Regards

Rosemary

FreeREG coordinator Caithness

Thanks for that Rosemary. I am quite sure you are correct that not all births were registered. I am trying to solve a bit of a family mystery and have been unable to locate births for some children - they may have been born elsewhere; however I know it was a period when mother's names were often not included which makes it difficult to find "Gunn" births. I know there were 11 children - but have been unable to locate births for three daughters, and I don't even know first names for two of them.

Morning Barb

If you go to http://www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk...t-of-oprs.html you will find a very clear explanation as to why many births, marriages and deaths are not recorded in the Old Parish Registers.

Regards

Rosemary