Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Best places to see birds of prey

Default Best places to see birds of prey

Where is the best place to see birds of prey in Caithness? I see the odd buzzard here and there but wondered where I could go to see other species

There are hen harriers around. I've seen them at Dunnet head and also at Broubster leans. Also I've often seen a peregrine perching on the old church steeple in Olrig street.

Hen harriers, lots of kestrels, and short eared owl around Dunnet Head area.

There are alot of raptors in the county and surrounding area but most folk don't disclose too much information especially as the breeding season approaches. I'm am quite happy to say what I see but rarely give other than a very general location for obvious reasons.
    Too many nests get raided and too many birds are shot or poisoned.

We often see kestrels at wester loch
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish
    on its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    There are alot of raptors in the county and surrounding area but most folk don't disclose too much information especially as the breeding season approaches. I'm am quite happy to say what I see but rarely give other than a very general location for obvious reasons.
    Too many nests get raided and too many birds are shot or poisoned.
    That's exactly it Lizz. Spoken like a true local.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    There are alot of raptors in the county and surrounding area but most folk don't disclose too much information especially as the breeding season approaches. I'm am quite happy to say what I see but rarely give other than a very general location for obvious reasons.Too many nests get raided and too many birds are shot or poisoned.
    Hey thanks. Totally understand why you wouldn't give anything other than a rough area of where to go. Too many creatures are disturbed these days and its not just birds

Quote Originally Posted by Perambulate View Post
    Where is the best place to see birds of prey in Caithness? I see the odd buzzard here and there but wondered where I could go to see other species
    hi, there cant be many places where you cant see buzzards they are every where ?? but try Dunnet head for the harriers or thrumster on the moors by brikigoe

keep your eyes open as you travel around you will be surprised what you see. i have been up here 3 years now and have seen so many birds of prey now.
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

A run to Dunnet Head today gave us sightings of all resident (non owl) raptors appart from a Merlin as bill says keep your eyes peeled and always have a set of binoculars with you.

Cape Wrath, Durness - Sea eagles, Golden Eagles and lots more - Well worth a trip when the ferry starts

originally from aberdeen,now live somewhere north of brig a doon

In my back garden,as my husband is a falconer.(sorry folks i just could'nt resist that.)