Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: New Compact Camera

Default New Compact Camera

Hi all, just got myself a Fujifilm X10 and have to say it's one amazing little camera. I do a lot of walking and go wild camping, so lugging around a big SLR all the time is a bit of a nuisance.

I wanted something that had full manual control (just like an SLR), shot RAW and also had a good lens. The Fujifilm X10 fitted the criteria really well, and it looks great, too! A bit retro. It opens up to f/2.0 and is just packed full of cool features.

Thought I'd share a few photos I've taken with it over the weekend

http://gordonmac.com/first-few-shots...-fujifilm-x10/
    Gordon Mackay http://www.gordonmac.com/

I have been looking at this purely because I like a viewfinder. I have read a few folk saying the lens gets in the way ? have you found this ? also I am mostly a point and shoot gal at the moment is it a good camera for just auto setting and then work up to manual ? Also macro ? I do a fair bit of that is it any good for that. I like your images. Thank you.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Quote Originally Posted by arana negra View Post
    I have been looking at this purely because I like a viewfinder. I have read a few folk saying the lens gets in the way ? have you found this ? also I am mostly a point and shoot gal at the moment is it a good camera for just auto setting and then work up to manual ? Also macro ? I do a fair bit of that is it any good for that. I like your images. Thank you.
    Hi there,

At the widest (28mm) you can see the tip of the lens in the bottom right of the viewfinder (I managed to take a photo of it, below), but for me it's well out of the way of anything in my compositions. I normally stick to a fairly conventional rule of thirds in my photos, so the area where the lens appears is redundant empty space. The problem with the viewfinder isn't the lens appearing in it, it's the lack of a visual focus indicator - but it's easy to see the green focus light appearing in the corner of your eye, and I also always (even with my Canon 5D MKII) have a single fixed focus point set to the middle, this way I know where I have to lock the focus on the subject first before recomposing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x10.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	18233

The camera has Aperture Priority mode, which I find to be the quickest setting on this camera for most things, it lets me control the depth of field, f/2 for the times where I want to blur out the background behind the subject and f/8 or f/11 for landscape stuff where I want sharpness and focus from everything near me to the horizon - then the camera automatically controls the shutter speed to give you the correct exposure.

There's also P mode, where the camera just does the lot for you in a completely point and shoot way. There are also loads of other fun point and shoot settings, like the EXR mode - which really captures some amazing photos, even in low light.

The selling point for me was that all the controls for these things are physical dials on the outside of the camera - I hate having to go through menus to change settings.

Macro is one of the most impressive things about this camera - it has two types of macro setting, the first is just a generic macro, and then there is "Super Macro" setting - which allows you to focus on things from about 1 CM away.

Hope this helps.
    Gordon Mackay http://www.gordonmac.com/

Thank you for a super reply :-) most helpful. I have yet to see this camera in the flesh but like what I see and hear about it. I am tempted to find best price on line and just buy it ! Sounds like the one to make me step away from only point and shoot.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com