Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where would you go?

Default Where would you go?

Where would you go if the unthinkable happened? That is, the Eckish Numpty Party was in charge of grinding Scotland into the ground after secession, and Jessica-George Osborne was in charge of grinding England into the ground after secession?

I'm not a natural linguist, so English speaking countries would be near the top of my list.

The USA? It's an obvious destination, and it would probably be at (or close to) the top of my list.

Canada? I'm not sure - it's awfully cold in winter, and awfully hot and sweaty in summer - unless you're on the coast. There's nothing on the east coast, but there's Vancouver and its environs on the west coast - which are are a possibility....

Ireland? Don't be daft!

New Zealand? Too small, and too far away.

Australia? It's perhaps the best alternative to the USA. It's a long way away though.

Singapore? Perhaps, and its science is on the up.

What about Europe?

Germany? This is probably top of my European list right now, although it's hard to get a decent job in science if you're not a native.

The Netherlands: This is probably my second choice, but there's a new language to learn. My Dutch colleague likes living here because we're grumpy - just like they are lol!

France? Italy? Spain? Perhaps....

Where would you go?
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 02-Feb-13 at 22:10. Reason: tpyo

LOL. I'd love to live in Bonnie Scotland.

To Wales..
    Radical, Man!

New Zealand or Australia, although we would probably be parked a couple of years in England before getting the visas :/In Europe, I already lived nearly everywhere and at the top of the list Germany and France would be our choice but my husband doesn't speak any French or German, so we can't move there.Southern countries (Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy) have all bankrupted or on the brink of bankruptcy.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. "

- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

On second thoughts, The Netherlands are awfully flat... and crowded. I need hills... and space!

I forgot Switzerland. It's one of the few small countries with good science.

There's also Japan, which has everything - but the culture change would be enormous, I'd have to learn the language from scratch, and there aren't any curry shops or Mexicans or decent Italians....

Russia. it's up and coming and have more money than most and i'm sure they could find a job for a bus driver
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinScot View Post
    New Zealand or Australia, although we would probably be parked a couple of years in England before getting the visas :/In Europe, I already lived nearly everywhere and at the top of the list Germany and France would be our choice but my husband doesn't speak any French or German, so we can't move there.Southern countries (Spain, Portugal, Greece, Italy) have all bankrupted or on the brink of bankruptcy.
    I like Portugal and Italy, but as you say, they're not economically stable countries to escape to....

New Zealand is no good for me, their science base is almost non-existent by global standards. I'd like to visit though, which I could do if I went to Oz.

Methinks you need to get your husband to learn a new language!

Quote Originally Posted by billmoseley View Post
    Russia. it's up and coming and have more money than most and i'm sure they could find a job for a bus driver
    Have you any room in your suitcase for Flynn?

The Scottish Underground
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I would live in Scotland. Out of curiosity.

I shall sleep underneath Morven (for millennia if need be) until I hear the distant beat of God Save the Queen, then I will rise from my sleeping place and vanquish all secessionists before me.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    The Scottish Underground
    That's another possibility - stay and fight.

I used to wonder why many Scots fought against Bonnie Ponce Charlie in 1746. With hindsight (and Eck in my sights) it's obvious.

We were trying to recruit an Italian at my work recently. He's not keen on coming here because he fears unrest and public disorder before and after the Eckerendum. He asked if there is unrest right now!

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    New Zealand is no good for me, their science base is almost non-existent by global standards. I'd like to visit though, which I could do if I went to Oz. Methinks you need to get your husband to learn a new language!
    I have lived in New Zealand and liked it a lot. Main problem is that NZ is so far from everything....Don't you think I tried to get him to learn one? Lol completely unsuccessful hehe

I suppose it needs to be asked ...... how many of you would be able financially, to go anywhere outside of Britain? I, for one, wouldn't be able to. No other country in the world provides, to the same extent that our does.

We were trying to recruit an Italian at my work recently. He's not keen on coming here because he fears unrest and public disorder before and after the Eckerendum. He asked if there is unrest right now!
    According to an Italian friend of mine living in Edinburgh, Italians only stands a maximum stay of 6 months in Scotland and then leave, even though at home they have the cr*ppiest government in Europe. Mind you, it is not because of secessionists but the weather, which they consider unbearable.

I have lived in New Zealand and liked it a lot. Main problem is that NZ is so far from everything....Don't you think I tried to get him to learn one? Lol completely unsuccessful hehe
    Take him somewhere they don't speak English, and he'll have to learn pretty damned quickly!
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 02-Feb-13 at 22:07. Reason: tense

According to an Italian friend of mine living in Edinburgh, Italians only stands a maximum stay of 6 months in Scotland and then leave, even though at home they have the cr*ppiest government in Europe. Mind you, it is not because of secessionists but the weather, which they consider unbearable.
    You've obviously moved around a fair bit Merlin. What was the attraction for Britain?

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    To Wales..
    North or south?

Quote Originally Posted by billmoseley View Post
    It's a long drive from St Petersburg to Vladivostok. It's even further than Wick to Bettyhill!

Where would you go if the unthinkable happened? That is, the Eckish Numpty Party was in charge of grinding Scotland into the ground after secession, and Jessica-George Osborne was in charge of grinding England into the ground after secession?

I'm not a natural linguist, so English speaking countries would be near the top of my list.

The USA? It's an obvious destination, and it would probably be at (or close to) the top of my list.

Canada? I'm not sure - it's awfully cold in winter, and awfully hot and sweaty in summer - unless you're on the coast. There's nothing on the east coast, but on the west coast, there's Vancouver and its environs - which are are a possibility.

Ireland? Don't be daft!

New Zealand? Too small, and too far away.

Australia? It's perhaps the best alternative to the USA. It's a long way away though.

Singapore? Perhaps, and its science is on the up.

What about Europe?

Germany? This is probably top of my European list right now, although it's hard to get a decent job in science if you're not a native.

The Netherlands: This is probably my second choice, but there's a new language to learn. My Dutch colleague likes living here because we're grumpy - just like they are lol!

France? Italy? Spain? Perhaps....

Where would you go?
    I dont see why any one of these countries would have you.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChow View Post
    I dont see why any one of these countries would have you.
    That's nice - can you not bear the thought of me leaving you?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast