Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vegan Resturant in Thurso

The description is not always a clue, most indian restaurants do some non indian foods so that families can still go out together.

I'm just not sure that there is a big enough vegan population, with disposable income, to keep a venture like this going after the initial interest wears off.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Personally if I was invited to go to a Vegetarian Restaurant I would NOT go unless I could be offered something to eat that was NOT Vegetarian. There is nothing stopping a Vegetarian Restaurant offering a Steak or something else for patrons who are not Vegetarian.
    Very sensible K. I was at a veggie place recently and one of the party did nothing but moan the whole way through the meal spoiling it for everyone. Why would you go to a restaurant you know you won't enjoy? That is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    The description is not always a clue, most indian restaurants do some non indian foods so that families can still go out together.

I'm just not sure that there is a big enough vegan population, with disposable income, to keep a venture like this going after the initial interest wears off.
    I don't think it is the same comparison. I've been in one or two vegetarian indian reastaurants, and they market themselves as such, they even had a western veggie choice. If they served a meat option then they would be just a normal indian restaurant.

To me the whole idea of going to a different restaurant is to enjoy or try what is on offer. If you won't try or know you don't like then don't go. Simple really.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 31-Jan-13 at 17:56.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    ooh I love this. Why do veggies/vegans make people angry? I know, it's because they are different and don't conform. Xenophobia on a different scale, it's particularly noticable in Scotland, I don't know if that means anything?
    I've lived in Scotland all of my live and I've never meet anyone that's been angered by veggies / vegans! What sort of people do you associate with

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Personally if I was invited to go to a Vegetarian Restaurant I would NOT go unless I could be offered something to eat that was NOT Vegetarian. There is nothing stopping a Vegetarian Restaurant offering a Steak or something else for patrons who are not Vegetarian.
    I always think it's not the place it's the people you're with that are important - but that's just me.

Property was still on the market in the Estate Agents today.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncansby View Post
    I've lived in Scotland all of my live and I've never meet anyone that's been angered by veggies / vegans! What sort of people do you associate with
    Have you read this thread? People are already angry.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Have you read this thread? People are already angry.
    Yes I have read the thread. I think we must have different dictionaries.

Being a non meat or fish eater, it will be wonderful to go out to eat in Thurso and be able to have something other than the macaroni cheese and chips that restaurants seem to think is all they are obliged to offer us!

Bring it on new venture!

Quote Originally Posted by mirandarainbow View Post
    Being a non meat or fish eater, it will be wonderful to go out to eat in Thurso and be able to have something other than the macaroni cheese and chips that restaurants seem to think is all they are obliged to offer us!

Bring it on new venture!
    Too true! I refuse to eat the stuff. Especially when they want to charge 8 quid

Quote Originally Posted by mirandarainbow View Post

Bring it on new venture!
    Exactly! I don't know where all the wonderful vegetarian options some orgers seem to think restaurants offer are?! They make no effort at all and vegetarians/vegans are treated as a minority or even a pest.
    When looking through the Christmas Menus in the Groat there was a good variety of food for meat eaters and only one option for vegetarians.
    So it would be wonderful if there was somewhere with lovely tasty vegan food.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Default Would you steak your wife on it

I believe there is no meat in this story, I also believe the vegetarians don't like to meat people, so everyone will be lonely and all look pasty faced, but I'm all for a Korn on the Cob and some Tofu puddingconfused
    Oedipus was the first man to plug the generation gap

So if we see a pasty meateater then we put it down to drink, drugs, lack of sun or summat else but when we see a pasty vegetarian we should put it down to a lack of meat?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Is there anywhere in Caithness that serves decent veggie nosh?

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    Is there anywhere in Caithness that serves decent veggie nosh?
    Is there such a thing SiS?
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    So if we see a pasty meateater then we put it down to drink, drugs, lack of sun or summat else but when we see a pasty vegetarian we should put it down to a lack of meat?
    Aye I wonder what kind of diet a lot of the carnivores who berate vegetarians/vegans eat? A healthy well balanced diet without meat is certainly a lot better than a diet with meat which is full of junk and lack of fibre.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Is there such a thing SiS?
    Aye there is as I eat it every day. Apart from not wanting to eat dead animals I would never want to go back to eating meat now. The thought makes me boke!
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

I do a "no meat" dinner every week at home, but, when out I like a steak /roast etc...
    But do peruse the veggie options to see if anything takes my fancy ....but mac cheese or nut roast doesnt really do it for me!
    (Im one of them that looks at the puds first before deciding if a starter is worth it)
    But if there is a decent choice in menu options, the taste of the food,presentation of the food and texture of the dish should counteract the lack of meat.....not everyone eats meat everyday, but, it will take a lot to overcome the meat eaters perception that a steak(badly cooked ) is mandatory on a dinner out....I would rather a good veggie meal(a good veggie meal if a meat eater doesnt make you feel you are missing the meat) than a badly cooked lump of meat with bisto gravy any day when out!....
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Aye there is as I eat it every day. Apart from not wanting to eat dead animals I would never want to go back to eating meat now. The thought makes me boke!
    Liz, Snap! the thought of eating tofu and quorn makes me boak, But I will not hold that against you...each to their own
    Last edited by golach; 01-Feb-13 at 00:17.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I am a regular meat eater but the best meals I have ever had have been in vegetarian restaurants. This attitude that "if they don't offer a meat option I won't go" is complete and utter nonsense and stems from an closed-minded viewpoint that seems to be ingrained in some people in this community.

Your argument is as ridiculous as saying that you won't go to an Italian restaurant unless they cook British food!

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Liz, Snap! the thought of eating tofu and quorn makes me boak, But I will not hold that against you...each to their own
    Golach, get out of the 1980s Quorn and tofu are not prerequisites of a vegetarian meal. Vegetarians are not necessarily after a meat replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by weestraw View Post
    Golach, get out of the 1980s Quorn and tofu are not prerequisites of a vegetarian meal. Vegetarians are not necessarily after a meat replacement.
    here here, golach, you'd do well to check out Black Bo's in Edinburgh to update your thinking on vegetarian restaurants, once had the best meal i've ever had in there (filo parcels with peanut butter, blue cheese and grapes, sounds mingin, but tasted fantastic)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast