Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Fulmars

Default Fulmars

I've noticed a lot of Fulmars pairing up on the cliffs near to my home and they've been there for the past few weeks. Seems earlier than usual??

Yes they arrived here in Brough in mid December which is very unusual.
    HEADWARK

Lot"s of them here at ulbster as well,i think it might have something to do with the recurring bad weather at sea........
    "No matter how i struggle and strive i"llnever get out of this world alive"...Hank Williams

Fulmars are present on the Caithness coast almost all year round. They tend be away for a couple of weeks either side of the shortest day but will still be seen
    out at sea during these times.

They are a very successful species which has spread south from the Arctic into the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. In the last century they have successfully colonised the British Isles. With Arctic species it is common for their plumage to be lighter further north, but the fulmars of the North Atlantic get darker in the more northern areas whereas the Pacific fulmars follow the usual trait.

Other marine species present in Caithness all year round include shags, black guillemots, herring and great black backed gulls.