Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: why does my dog pee in my bed?

Default why does my dog pee in my bed?

Does anyone know why my dog, although he is house trained in every other respect, will jump on my bed and pee whenever i leave the bedroom door open? (and I don't mean just marking his territory - he does a real long pee) He is a recue dog, but I have had hime for over a year now and he is very settled.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

unfortuatly u will never get the smell of pee off ur mattress or duvet and therefore he will keep peeing due to the scent best thing to do unfortualy is replace the mattress and duvet and if he is house trained he should not pee on your new one again,once you replace it sprinkle pepper over your duvet and let him jump up he will smell the pepper and will not want to pee there,ie because he smells pee on your bed he thinks its like a tree if you get what i mean he thinks he can pee there , haha sorry going on abit hope that helps you x

Scent marking....you are mine..etc..
    Wash the duvet and other bedding at 60 degs if possible, and, with bio detergent...
    and treat the matteress with bio washing liquid to break down the scent/pee blotting with a towel as you go to get rid of the scent...
    Plus shut the door!
    And do not allow him in the bedroom to break the pattern...(before a new matteress and after)
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!

thanks folks. I'll try what I can, but I just got a new mattress! And quite an expensive one at that. Now my lovely white mattress has a couple of big yellow stains that goes all the way through! I do try to keep the door shut, but now and again - you know how it is!
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

You will have to do what I did, buy a water proof cover, the pepper idea will work wonders also.

You could also try putting tinfoil over the bed, we covered the settee & chair with it when my dog was a puppy to stop him going up on them, it worked a treat as he didn't like the feel or sound of it.

unfortualty doesnt matter how many times you wash it , it may smell clean to you but a dogs nose will still be able to smell it x

I do not know a lot about dogs I own a dog that was not a rescue dog and was clean like yours in every way, however every chance she got she would run up the stairs and wee in one of the bedrooms ! We used a gate as we was told she will smell it and keep doing it no matter what we did. We moved to a new place that had no wee up the stairs and guess what ? She did it again ! Now we just use a gate at the bottom of the stairs and no problems...

I suggest you get a gate for the bedroom door.

Katarina
    There is a stuff on the market I think is great - discovered it after a guests dog had marked one bedroom carpet, made by The Brampton Company, St Ives, Cambridgeshire.
    I phoned them up and spoke to a really great person who advised me how to go about getting rid of the smell.

I haven't tried this yet but maybe it'll work for you...

Getting Started:
    You need a measuring cup, tablespoon, funnel, and spray bottle.
    8 ounces/237 ml hydrogen peroxide 3% (this can be found in a brown bottle in the first aid aisle of most pharmacies or stores)
    3 tablespoons/14.29 grams of baking soda
    1 drop of liquid hand dish washing soap

Mix all ingredients into the spray bottle and use within 20 minutes. Do not attempt to store the leftover solution. because it will leak out of the bottle. The mixture only works if you use it immediately, because the cleaning byproducts are active for only a short time period. You should see the stain lift and disappear within 5-10 minutes. Once the mattress dries, if a baking soda film remains, then simply wipe or vacuum it off. Reports I read also indicate this method works well for pet urine stains, but I have not tested it yet in this capacity.
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.