Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: venison

Default venison

Hi has anybody got a good recipe for cooking a piece of venison???

cheers 1961

I have always treated it the same as beef and it always turns out fine. Just have to make sure it doesn't dry out. Enjoy.

Default Yummy

I usually wrap it in streaky bacon and then foil, keeps it moist ,venison chops are GREAT done this way.

It depends on the cut. Remember it is lean meat so if it is a roast you will need something to help keep it moist.

Chocolate sauce goes very well with it and so does braised red cabbage.

A google search should come up with a few very good options.

Sometimes we marinade it in guiness,onions and brown sugar, rubbing sugar in well, leave it over night, then cook in a slow oven, comes out lovely jucie and tender no matter what cut then reduce cooked marinade, season and thicken if required with a litte cornflour.
    all my lot love it , even the youngest who can be picky.

Default Jam

I cover mine in strawberry jam and cook on a low heat for around 3 hours, then remove to rest whilst I make gravy by adding a little red wine to roast tin for a sweet rich gravy.... I like it!
    Live the Life

Default Venison

I rub a little olive oil all over to stop it drying out as it is a lean meat and then marinade overnight in red wine and a dozen juniper berries, the following day I cover the roasting tin complete with venison & marinade in a double layer of tin foil and cook long and slow.