Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Horse Meat

Has anyone actually ate horse meat ? What is it like ?

It's neigh bad, and it goes well with a glass of hock.

Quote Originally Posted by rich62_uk View Post
    Has anyone actually ate horse meat ? What is it like ?
    I've eaten it. It's nice, quite tender and juicy. Lovely flavour.
    Radical, Man!

Like beef or steak depending on the piece but softer. And the fat is yellow like on a Jersey cow. The fat has a greasy taint to it, to fool people the fat needs to be removed which is very easy because there is no marbling through the meat like on a cow, the fat is stored on the outside.
    I would hazard a guess that all people who eat any type of beef regularly, excluding home grown and butchered have definitely eaten horse without knowing it the use of it is so widespread.

I believe Horse meat was a common food source during WW2, not sure if it was only the farming community that used it. I remember my Dad talking about eating it, I have no memory of tasting it.
    I did unknowingly at the time eat monkey in a place called Balakpapan in Indonesia, it tasted nice until I asked what it was, and promptly threw up, should have kept my mouth shut.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Was it at all 'porky'?

We have a few boxes of tesco burgers in the freezer, guess we are saddled with them

Quote Originally Posted by pig whisperer View Post
    We have a few boxes of tesco burgers in the freezer, guess we are saddled with them
    If you say that quietly enough you will be known as the horse whisperer instead of the pig whisperer.

C3.

Quote Originally Posted by pig whisperer View Post
    You could try to whip up some enthusiasm by entering them into the Grand National. You might even win 'e thing.
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 21-Jan-13 at 01:40. Reason: missing "up"

hi looked at a lot of replyes but none of them has asked who passed the horse meat fit for eating and why they sliped it in with other meat
    was the horses healthy or were they not who knows

Quote Originally Posted by lesley_mac View Post
    hi looked at a lot of replyes but none of them has asked who passed the horse meat fit for eating and why they sliped it in with other meat
    was the horses healthy or were they not who knows

Horseflesh is - and always has been - fit for eating. One thing is certain, the horses won't have had BSE.
    Radical, Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Not sure what all the fuss is about horse meat. If you eat meat, what is the difference.

Angel...
    You are missing the point: you would not pay the same price for lamb and ewe. You pay for beef, you are entitled to beef. If you want to buy a mixtuire of beef and horse, the price has to reflect this. You are also entiled to know exactly what you are eating.
    As for the samples that did not have overt ammounts of horse flesh mixed into their burger, but were "only" tainted with horse DNA and pork DNA, these reflect the cleaning practices - or more accuratly, the absence of cleaning- very important in terms of meat. In a food factory, no proper clean up between different production lines means that cleanliness will be, as a rule, bad.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_ View Post
    You are missing the point: you would not pay the same price for lamb and ewe. You pay for beef, you are entitled to beef.
    Yes agreed, but misleading labels or mixing stuff without our knowedge in burgers is nothing new. If it had been chicken or pork mixed in with the beef then this story wouldn't have been of major interest.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I bought one of these last week .. http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/val...hirt-mens.html

Went into my local Tesco wearing it yesterday. Much fun.

Misleading labels or mixing "stuff" into food and not including it on the label is and has been illegal for a very long time. Packaged foods have to have complete labels. The only exception being seasonings that are less than 2% and then only if they are not allergens. Not listing ingredients or substituting ( as what seems to have happened with the 30% horse/beef burgers) is fraud. Confidence in a food business is very easily destroyed so these large companies are usually careful. My best guess is that this business will loose contracts and close very quickly.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

last chance to get triple clubcard points on petrol, diesel & burgers. Ask at the checkout for the "only fuels & horses" deal

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    last chance to get triple clubcard points on petrol, diesel & burgers. Ask at the checkout for the "only fuels & horses" deal
    Aye.........it's a Grand National scandal !!!

C3.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    What do Trigger and the Trotters have to do with this?

Tesco drops supplier over horsemeat

Horsemeat scandal: Tesco blames supplier over horsemeat in value burgers

Horse DNA was found in burgers sold at Tesco

Meat in Tesco burgers which was found to contain horse DNA did not come from a list of "approved suppliers", the supermarket has claimed.

Following an internal investigation, the supermarket chain said meat used by its supplier Silvercrest originated from outside the UK and Ireland.

Tesco issued an "unreserved" apology in full-page spreads of several UK newspapers on 16 January and have now dropped Silvercrest as a supplier.

Silvercrest have yet to comment.
    Hi-yo, Silver! Away!

This made me smile in the Mirror
    "Tesco, which is ­investigating how its Everyday Value burgers contained 29% horse meat, has scrapped part of its new TV advert as it was due to include images of a horse."

The Mirror 19th jan http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...rcrest-1544458

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast