Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Fireplace ash

Default Fireplace ash

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice?

I burn coal in my wood burning stove and keep it going constantly. Every morning I empty the ash into a metal bin but it is never cool enough the following day to empty, even though it is outside with the lid off. Consequently, the bin fills up and the ash is constantly too warm to bag up and bin.

I've been thinking about creating an ash pit in the garden. Can anyone advise me about this? Cheers

I know that if you burn woodmor peat the ash can go on the compost heap. Not sure about coal thbough!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

You can get "Tippy" a galvanised box with a lid, -put the ash can in flat, shut the lid then lift up and take it outside and then pull the ash can out and put it back in the stove.
    Mine I fill - let cool and bag it, if there is a bit of ash to get rid of b4 its cool, that goes in a galvanised bucket. Or just 2 buckets! - I just like the idea that there is less dust because the ash container has a lid. An ash pit would have to be awfully big for a year or twos worth of ash.
    Last edited by davem; 13-Jan-13 at 21:09. Reason: Tippy not a Tippee!!!

I think they're about £40 Serendipity has them.

Have two metal bins on the go when one is nearly full start using the other one so it has lots of time to cool down before you need to empty it.
    Then you could bag it up and put it in your normal refuse bin.

If your ash is staying hot for a day then your fire is not burning your fuel as efficient as it could. If you learn and practice how to maximise the air flow you will save fuel and have nothing but very fine ash to dispose of, as davem has said, a Tippy is a good way of letting that cool before bagging it.

as indicated

is your ash, actually ash or larger lumps

check you have the right grate too and its not damaged

if it is a good 'bodge' is to put one of the grate from an old disposable Bar.b.que in the bottom

that way it will only let the tiny stuff through
    makes the fire burn longer for a load of wood/coal too.

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs