Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
Hmmmmmm. Not caged no but picture 15 hens per square metre - thats 3.2 feet. I think most people will agree that that has to be pretty cramped.
I'm not against them being kept undercover if it's the safest thing for all involved, my query is whether this can then be called 'free range'. If it can then my illusion of the eggs I go out my way to buy has been severley shattered.

What are the disease implications for hens kept in these conditions anyway?

I've just found this little snippet on the web. My lord, is this really acceptable conditions? It would seem our new local hen house will be more along the lines of a hotel compared to the over crowding allowed.

Incidentally, the de-beaking involves cutting off approx one third of the beak.... with no anaesthetic. Hope our manny's not gonna do that

I've also noticed that to be called 'free range' then the hens must have access to outside runs at all times.
Have to say I've no idea of the area of the barn.........but it looks big.

Maybe not free range then but "Barn" eggs.........are produced from hens kept in loose flocks confined within a shed. Birds in this system are not caged and can roam throughout their house but are not let outside. They are provided with perches, platforms, and nestboxes and litter areas. Some barn units keep their hens in large flock sizes of up to 16,000 birds in conditions that can resemble a crowded football terrace.

Don't think, from what I've heard that the hens are going to be nearly that crowded.